Manager, Corporate Development
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Manager, Corporate Development will manage a high performing fundraising team at Habitat for Humanity Canada, combining cash and build gift in kind. The Manager will also be responsible for assisting the Vice President, Philanthropy with the strategic development, management, and delivery of all corporate development efforts to acquire new corporate partners, engage in high-level stewardship of existing partners and enhance fundraising/sponsorship initiatives and properties.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a key member of Habitat for Humanity Canada’s Philanthropy team, your major functions will be to:
- FUNDRAISE: Achieve personal and team fundraising targets and associated KPIs with proactive and prioritized prospecting of corporate donors. Acquire new national gifts and renew existing national gifts from corporate partners and donors. Collaborate with the Philanthropy team and local Habitats across Canada to ensure proper clearance and strategy for approach. Design and implement effective solicitation strategies that will identify and acquire high-potential national corporate donors. Liaise with Partner Services team on effective stewardship strategies that will strengthen relationships with named donors and uncover opportunities to grow these partnerships. Develop briefing materials, cases for support, proposals, presentations, and gift agreements.
- PLAN & REPORT: Assist the Vice President, Philanthropy in developing and recommending annual targets for the corporate segment. As well support the development, implementation and evaluation of personal and team fundraising plans in line with established targets, associated KPIs, and strategic organizational objectives. Provide complete and comprehensive reports to Habitat Canada leadership. Maintain up-to-date and accurate donor and prospect records. Continuously ensure that the organization’s donor database management system (The Raiser’s Edge) is reflective of all fund development activities.
- MANAGE RELATIONSHIPS: Continually develop relationships with new and returning corporate partners and corporate foundations. Grow a network of effective interpersonal relationships with national staff, volunteers, Habitat affiliates and other stakeholders to achieve shared fundraising objectives. Work collaboratively with all stakeholders to solicit gifts for federation-wide priorities.
- ADVOCATE: Effectively and accurately communicate and align Habitat for Humanity Canada’s mission, values and fundraising priorities within the interests and strategic objectives of national donors, always representing Habitat for Humanity Canada in a highly ethical and confidential manner. Conduct presentations and lead meetings with various internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to, corporate partners, major donors, Habitat affiliates, volunteers, team members, and the senior leadership team.
- COLLABORATE: Lead and be a contributing member of cross-functional teams. Lead the Corporate Development team and work with other Habitat Canada teams to develop, recommend and manage a comprehensive Federation-wide corporate development program that offers corporations with a variety opportunities to support Habitat Canada including new and existing fundraising initiatives and properties, corporate employee engagement, workplace giving, cause marketing initiatives, and other opportunities as they arise.
- DEVELOP PROFESSIONALLY: From time to time, participate in professional development opportunities and attend key charitable and donor-related events outside of regular office hours.
- 5+ years of experience in corporate development experience, (ideally gained within the charitable sector) or related experience in sales, business development, or corporate partnerships with proven results.
- University degree in relevant field or demonstrated equivalent working experience.
- Ability to think strategically and manage competing priorities in a high-volume and results-oriented environment; demonstrated resourcefulness and independence, but comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment.
- Ability to identify strategic business development opportunities and then to plan, implement and evaluate these initiatives.
- Results and achievement-oriented personality with high degree of initiative, and comfort with analytics and financial goals.
- Eager to drive and share knowledge of best practices in sponsorship fundraising and corporate partnerships.
- A bias towards action, a can-do attitude, a positive disposition and a natural relationship builder.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire and lead with confidence and trust amongst all stakeholders, including direct reports, acting ethically and responsibly in all interactions.
- Possess expert communication skills – written, oral and presentation including well-developed networking ability with a proven capacity to establish new relationships easily.
- Superior listening skills with an ability to translate the concerns and interests of corporate partners into attractive opportunities for investment in Habitat Canada’s programs and priorities.
- Interest in and dedication to Habitat Canada’s mission, with ability to passionately articulate key messages and demonstrate an understanding of the organization’s work.
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills and exacting attention to detail.
- Behaves in a manner that fosters a positive atmosphere throughout the organization; consistently demonstrates a commitment to teamwork, hard work, professionalism and openness.
- A valid driver’s license and use of a reliable vehicle as well as a valid passport and ability to travel as required.
- Expert knowledge of MS Office and other relevant software programs, experience with The Raiser’s Edge an asset.
Founded in 1985, Habitat for Humanity Canada is a national, charitable organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home.
Habitat for Humanity brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, Habitat homeowners and 54 local Habitats working in every province and territory, we provide a solid foundation for better, healthier lives in Canada and around the world. Habitat for Humanity Canada is a member of Habitat for Humanity International, which was established in 1976 and has grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in more than 70 countries.
For more information, please visit www.habitat.ca.
We believe everyone deserves a safe and decent place to live.
We know that safe, decent and affordable homeownership plays a critical role in helping families to create a new cycle, one filled with possibilities and progress. Affordable homeownership frees families and fosters the skills and confidence they need to invest in themselves and their communities. The outcomes can be long-lasting and life-changing.
We help provide a solid foundation for families to build strength, stability, and self-reliance. It’s the platform on which a family lives out today’s realities and prepares for tomorrow’s transformations. Every Habitat house changes lives: those of the families who help build them and pay an affordable mortgage and all those who offer them a hand up in a time of need.
What Its Like To Work Here
Our office and work life.
We're located in midtown Toronto, steps away from parks and green spaces, trendy shops, and cafes, and conveniently located in a building with a GoodLife gym, which offers a discount to employees in the building. We’re a dedicated, vibrant, and diverse team of people working to make a difference. We work hard and play hard while keeping a “family first” attitude. Our “CARE Team” ensures fun activities year-round focused on team building, promoting work-life balance, and constantly improving our work culture.
Bonus - we offer benefits and RRSP matching for full-time employees!
Career Growth Opportunities
Grow with us.
We know that career growth is important to you. That’s why we give all our full-time employees a healthy professional development budget for courses, workshops, seminars, conferences and more. We believe in the power of continuous learning and offer opportunities to grow within the organization.
What We Look For When Hiring
We look for people who:
Are passionate about our work and empathetic to the cause;
Are able to work effectively through teamwork or with minimal supervision;
Are able to think and plan within a strategic framework;
Are able to prioritize, manage details, and execute within deadlines;
Work effectively in a fast-paced, complex, and evolving environment;
Are problem-solvers and critical thinkers with the ability to see the bigger picture;
Are friendly and open to having fun with their colleagues!