Global Safety and Security Specialist
- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Global Safety and Security Specialist reports directly to Vice President, Africa Programs in her capacity as Chair, Global Safety and Security Management Team (GSSMT). The incumbent is responsible for supporting the Chair, GSSMT to ensure that effective security measures for Right To Play programs are both appropriately planned for and addressed within the Right To Play Safety and Security Policy.
Working in collaboration with HQ, National Directors, Country Directors, Global Safety and Security Management Team and Safety and Security Focal Persons, the incumbent will ensure that countries mitigate operational risks and institutionalize an organizational culture and practice of safety and security.
The Global Safety and Security Specialist will be based in one of the Right To Play countries of operations.
Job Responsibility #1: Strategy and Planning (35% of Time):
- Develops and updates the Global Safety and Security Policy, Standard Operating Procedures and Contingency Plan
- Ensures security risk assessment, country risk rating and core security standards, processes and procedures are completed in accordance with Global Safety and Security Policy
- Develops security strategy to ensure that operational priorities of Right To Play are appropriately supported
- Provides guidance and support to the National Offices and Country Offices in their development of Safety and Security Management plans
- Prepares an internal framework for accountability related to safety and security
- Coordinates with HQ, National Directors and Country Directors to ensure implementation, compliance and support for security aspects of their respective locations
- Supports the mobilization of resources to assist field offices in the implementation of security requirements
- Implements the arrangements detailed in the Safety and Security policies and procedures with the aim of maintaining the security and safety of staff, premises and assets
- Monitors and reports on compliance with security policies, practices and procedures
- Recommends appropriate action when advised of non-compliance with security policies, practices and procedures
- Addresses specific gender-related security concerns as required
- Appoints Safety and Security Focal Points in consultation with National Directors and Country Directors
- Ensures that Safety and Security Focal Points receive appropriate training to fulfil their responsibilities
- Conducts capacity assessments and facilitates capacity building for staff on Safety and Security matters
- Designs, recommends and/or delivers Safety and Security training modules/courses
- Master’s degree in security management, business administration, political/social science, psychology, international relations or a related field. A combination of university degree and relevant experience is also accepted
- Valid driving license
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in security management, preferably in the international context
- Emergency management and disaster recovery experience
- Knowledge of security management combined with solid background of military or other security specialization and some political and social knowledge of Right To Play countries
- Knowledge of HF Radio or other security communications tools
- Excellent driving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to deal effectively with stress
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong planning and coordination skills
- Good team work ethic, and also capable of working independently
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Experience working in the field within UN Security Management system
- Experience in the area of human rights or international humanitarian law
- Other languages such as Arabic or French
- Ability to travel internationally is required
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: One-year contract
Right To Play is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty.
Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. View our Impact Profile
PLAY. It’s at the heart of everything we do. It educates, empowers and protects girls and boys, allowing them to be successful in their own learning and development, and prepares them for their future. We believe in a future for every child driven by opportunity, empowerment and possibility.
We play to develop critical life skills in children which support their physical, intellectual and social development and drive quality education, child protection, peaceful communities, gender equality and health and well-being.
Join us to bring play into these children's lives to defeat despair and discover possibility.
What it’s Like to Work Here
At Right To Play, you're part of an organization making a positive, lasting impact. That's why our staff is passionate and dedicated to our cause. Whether you’re supporting our programs at our International Headquarters, hosting awareness and fundraising events in our national offices, or working with youth in our local communities, you have the benefit of knowing everything you do is making a difference in the lives of more than one million children around the world through play.
We are a hardworking group of passionate and playful people. The culture is entrepreneurial and employees are encouraged to find unique solutions to problems. Working here you have to be comfortable with a fast paced environment where things can change on the fly.
Right To Play is a fairly lean NGO with 100 employees in the HQ - it’s a place where everyone knows and supports each other. There’s lots of collaboration between teams - from Finance and Fundraising, to Communications and International Programs. We work together as a team.
Our head office is located in downtown Toronto, steps from the subway and great lunch spots. Right To Play employees enjoy extra perks such as:
Summer Fridays: Half day Fridays from Canada Day - Labour Day
Winter Fridays: One afternoon off per month in the Winter for mental health :)
Complementary gym membership with GoodLife Fitness
An active Fun Committee that organizes events and activities all year long