Fundraising Content Officer
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
MSF Canada’s Fundraising Department is responsible for raising private funding, predominantly from individuals, by integrated direct response campaigns, major gifts, and legacy and planning giving vehicles to support our operations in the field and our activities in Canada. The department now generates over $75 million annually and has an ambitious plan to grow as part of the 2020-2023 strategic plan. Fundraising team members are in Toronto and Montreal and work in collaboration with suppliers and vendors across Canada.
As a member of the Fundraising Department, the Fundraising Content Officer is responsible for supporting the marketing strategies to acquire, cultivate and retain donors through compelling storytelling and content creation for all direct marketing activities. The Fundraising Content Officer will work closely with the Mass Marketing, Philanthropy and Digital Unit teams, develop content as needed, execute the annual fundraising plan and support strategic plan goals.
Position Level: Individual contributor
Department: Fundraising Department / Mass Marketing Unit / Loyalty
Position Status: 12 month contract
Activity Rate: 100% (Full time), 37.5 hrs. per week
Salary Grade: Level C on the MSF Canada Salary Grid, $72 420 per annum
Status: Must be legally authorized to work in Canada
Benefits: Health Spending Account, Lifestyle Spending Account, group insurance (Life, Dependent Life, AD&D), Peace of Mind plan (i.e. prescription drugs, accidental dental, hospital care, etc), 5% RRSP contributions (no matching required), starting 4 weeks’ Vacation/year, flexible work hours, annual professional development budget, Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), and a positive and innovative office culture grounded in our core values of humanity, integrity and results.
- Research, interview sources and develop compelling fundraising copy for various uses
- Copywriting and editing for web and print to create engaging storytelling pieces and appeals – particularly for our emails, direct mail program, Dispatches (MSF’s bi-annual publication), Annual report and Philanthropic proposals
- Connect with internal and global staff to proactively secure content, as well as ensuring timely use of scheduled content packages
- Support the Digital unit with content creation as required to execute the digital fundraising strategy
- Lead editorial meetings and the content design of various fundraising campaigns as required
- Perform as the copy expert and resource for the fundraising team, including proofreading, and editing of marketing materials for accuracy and consistency
- Develop compelling copy and frame the case for support to inspire donors to donate, increase brand awareness, engage donors and prospective supporters
- Produce copy for digital fundraising content and campaigns, leveraging digital marketing best practices to produce e-appeals, and other digital fundraising initiatives.
- Ideate, strategize and create fundraising content for the direct mail campaigns and philanthropic proposals
- Contribute in editorial meetings and lead the copywriting for the fundraising pages of Dispatches, and supporting the Editor with the overall production as needed.
- Support the Editor with the production of MSF’s Annual report as needed.
Proofreading and Editing
- Write, edit, proofread, verify and drive production of a variety of fundraising and marketing communications materials as required
- Ensure communications are accurate, clear, and complete; correct in terms of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and editorial
- Edit collateral for brand voice and clarity and work with colleagues to ensure accuracy style; and that they maintain a consistent tone and voice, aligned with MSF’s brand and EDI guidelines.
Relationship building and vendor collaboration
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, building excellent working relationships with colleagues, field workers and suppliers.
- Attend regular campaign check ins and editorial meetings to review program performance and support improvements from vendor partners.
- Work alongside Fundraising colleagues, liaising with the Communications team, and other MSF Canada departments to ensure campaign integration and cross-departmental collaboration
- Support the Fundraising Unit by taking on additional tasks as required
- Stay current with research, fundraising trends and areas of development for content creation
Results and Quality Orientation; Proficiency Level 2: Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Is aware that the purpose of their job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
- Values high-quality work.
Teamwork and Cooperation; Proficiency Level 2: Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares important information promptly and actively seeks the opinion of team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.
Planning and organizing; Proficiency level 2: Is proactive regarding planning and organizing their job area
- Anticipates potential incidents and deviations from the planning and foresees solutions.
- Comes up with ideas to improve planning and organization.
- Keeps a record and reports fulfillment of their
- Keeps priorities identified and distinguish between important and urgent issues.
- Suggests tools and ways tools could be improved to help establish priorities, record data on work done, etc.
- Consults others on needs to be included in their planning.
- Consults records (related data, background studies, past planning, etc.) before starting a project or job.
Cross-cultural Awareness; Proficiency Level 2: Recognizes and respects different points of view
- They think before they act with curiosity and sensitivity, listening and observing, not judging.
- Listens actively, asks questions, reads and systematically looks for information about the context and the people they work with.
- Is able to identify the shortcomings of their own cultural norms.
A Commitment to MSF’s Principles; Proficiency Level 1: Demonstrates knowledge and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organization.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
Knowledge and Experience
- An aptitude for storytelling and developing creative ways to craft, adapt and deliver key messages with superior written and verbal communication for multi-media formats
- Exceptional communication skills (capable of capturing tone and voice of a brand, and developing copy for a wide variety of audiences)
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office applications and databases
- Experience in fundraising, marketing or digital marketing communications an asset
Education, Certifications and Languages
- Education or training in Fundraising, Communications, Marketing, or a related field is an asset
- Proficient in English, with outstanding copywriting and editing skills is required; proficiency in French an
- Training required (will be provided upon hire)
- Data Privacy and Protection
- AODA, Human Rights, Accessibility
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Work is generally carried out during the day, Monday to Friday (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), some weekends and evenings may be required
- Flexible work hours and hybrid work model
- The office environment is open concept and workspace may be shared with office colleagues
- Workstations consist of sit/stand desks, anti-fatigue floor mat, swivel chair, laptop with dock and double monitor, lamp and phone
- Work requires long hours sitting in front of a computer/laptop screen
- During COVID-19 restrictions, employees are required to have their own workspace, access to internet, and phone
Interested candidates are invited to apply by providing their resume and responding to the questions below (in lieu of providing a cover letter). We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. Only electronic applications will be accepted.
NOTE: Any questions or concerns regarding accommodation and accessibility may be addressed to email@example.com.
MSF Canada is a people-focused humanitarian organization that is proud to offer a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We strongly believe this approach enhances our work and we’re committed to equity in employment. The organization seeks to attract and engage the best professionals to join and maintain meaningful, productive and lasting work relationships. We embrace diverse motivations and backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.