Community Support Worker - W
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Community Support Worker.
The Community Support Worker is responsible for providing a range of services in support of the clients of this program. These individuals may be living in a LOFT residence or elsewhere in Toronto. A key component of the position will be the building of a support network of community and clinical resources which empower the individual and increase their independence, dignity and self-respect in a safe, secure environment. This position will provide community support/ case management services for adults with mental health and/or addiction challenges.
Note: Staff will be required to work with residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke.
- Completion of a diploma/degree in Human Services or equivalent;
- Minimum of four years related experience working with the mentally ill;
- Minimum of three years related experience working with Concurrent Disorder;
- Knowledge of addictions and mental health issues;
- An understanding of the Psychosocial Rehabilitation principles, and the Recovery Model and the ability to operationalize them;
- An understanding of harm reduction, and all addiction recovery philosophies;
- Well-developed crisis intervention, problem solving and interpersonal skills;
- Counseling and responding skills, with well-developed problem solving abilities;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- An understanding of the therapeutic relationship, and an ability to come to an agreement with clients on goals/priorities;
- Understanding of palliation, of death and dying issues;
- Knowledge of available community resources and supports in the GTA;
- Ability to organize and implement group activities to promote the well-being of residents;
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to interact with workers from a variety of agencies.
- Computer literacy, including MS Word and Excel;
- Good oral and written communication skills in English, fluency in a second language is an asset;
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle is an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Upon request, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process.
Contact email@example.com or (416) 979-1994 to discuss your accommodation requirements.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “CSW- W” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: November 3, 2020