Program Manager, Low Carbon Fleet Systems & Performance
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Victoria, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
BC Transit is embarking on an ambitious program to transition its transit fleet of over 1,000 vehicles to low carbon technology. The Low Carbon Fleet Program (LCFP) is aligned with Clean BC and is based on a transition of the fleet to electric buses (i.e. battery electric, hydrogen fuel cell) and utilization of alternative fuel technology (i.e. compressed natural gas (CNG), renewable natural gas (RNG) and low-carbon based diesel fuels).
The first phase of implementation is deployment of 10 battery electric buses in the Victoria Regional Transit System inclusive of charging systems, supporting infrastructure, and integration to support operations and maintenance functions. Subsequent deployments in BC Transit systems will occur at both new and existing facilities across BC. The transition to low carbon fleets is a significant endeavor that will require significant collaboration and change management activities. Scaling up of the low carbon fleet deployments will require a high degree of systems thinking and planning in the areas of operations, maintenance, training, scheduling, dispatch, and servicing to name a few.
Reporting to the Program Director Low Carbon Fleet, the Program Manager-Low Carbon Fleet Systems & Performance is an integral part of the Low Carbon Fleet Program. The position will support the low carbon transition with expertise in systems thinking, electric bus operation, and change management. The role will require significant integration within existing BC Transit departments and working closely with external consultants and partners (utilities, operating partners, municipalities). The program manager is expected to bring a passion and excitement for achieving greenhouse gas reduction targets with solutions that are fully integrated, cost-effective, and sustainable.
This role will work closely with the departments of Fleet Management, Infrastructure Management, Maintenance, Supply Service, Strategic Planning, IT, Safety and Emergency Management, and Government Relations, among others, with direct collaboration with the managers and subject matter experts in those areas. The position will also work closely within the Low Carbon Fleet team, including the Program Manager for Low Carbon Fleet Deployment and the Program Manager for Low Carbon Fleet Infrastructure & Facilities.
- Evaluates and develops transit service operating strategies for low carbon fleet deployments. This will include establishing process maps for existing transit service delivery and identifying required modifications for integration of battery electric buses. This may include areas of bus operation, charging equipment operation, scheduling, dispatch, maintenance, servicing, fueling, inspections, and finance.
- Develops detailed procedures and practices to support low carbon fleet vehicle transit service operation (equipment operation, scheduling, dispatch, maintenance, servicing, fueling, inspections, etc).
- Identifies and evaluates technologies, both hardware and software, to support the integration of the low carbon fleet into transit service operations (e.g. software for scheduling and charging, new charging hardware options).
- Leads the planning and integration of software systems to support the low carbon fleet, including the needs assessments, technical evaluation, procurements, and implementation as required.
- Leads development and sustainment of low carbon fleet monitoring, data management, performance assessment, and integration of KPIs with other departments.
- Supports development of charging strategies for transit systems across the province, this will be focused on depot charging but may include on route charging where appropriate.
- Working with the Safety & Training department, develops and supports training programs for the low carbon fleet, including bus operation and maintenance, and charging system operation and maintenance.
- Working with the Maintenance department, develops and implements new maintenance procedures for the low carbon fleet.
- Working with the Fleet Maintenance planning department, develops and implements new KPIs, data, and maintenance planning activities.
- Working with the IT department, develops and implements new software systems, practices, and training programs to support the low carbon fleet. Integrates information security considerations into all activities.
- Works with operating partners to integrate new practices and procedures associated with the low carbon fleet.
- Supports low carbon fleet deployment projects, ensuring functional integration of low carbon fleet vehicles, fixed assets, and operations. This includes being an active part of the project team, drawings reviews, shop drawing reviews, and system commissioning.
- Technical expert in charging system equipment, communication protocols, hardware, and operational integration.
- Responsible for supporting the general sustainment of low carbon fleet operations, including providing ongoing operational support, troubleshooting, issue resolution, and ongoing vendor management for low carbon fleet assets.
- Manages procurement and contracts as required to support the in service operations of the low carbon fleet. This may include development of master service agreements for equipment or services.
- Manages the transition of ownership of low carbon investments, tools, resources, and processes to support internal teams post implementation.
- Prepares and supports communication related to the program.
- University degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline;
- Minimum five (5) years’ professional experience working on related hardware and software projects; longer is preferred.
- Proven project management experience;
- Experience working with control systems, IT communication hardware, and IT enterprise software.
- Experience in data management, analysis, and performance measurement;
- Experience with electric vehicle charging systems would be considered an asset.
- Experience working on change management, including enterprise change management projects and/or new process integration would be considered an asset;
- Experience working with Hastus, Trapeze, or other transit system management software would be considered an asset.
- Transit system experience would be considered an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Pre-screen telephone calls will take place July 27 to August 7 and Interviews will be taking place during the last two weeks of August
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- If you have a disability which requires accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
- A Post Offer Employment Test (POET) may be required
- We reserve the right to close the online vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to complete and return your application form as soon as possible
- BC Transit is committed to the principles of employment equity.
BC TRANSIT OFFERS
- Life Insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program – Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
We love that our head office is in Victoria and we bet you do too! We are happy you have decided to explore a career with BC Transit, this is a great city to work and live in. We are passionate about helping reduce congestion in the city and providing a public service to everyone in BC (except for Metro Vancouver). We have innovative new bus lanes being installed from Colwood to Downtown in both directions, real time GPS being installed in the full fleet across the province and we are beginning to explore mobile payment options among other things. It is an exciting time to be in the transit industry and we are looking for fun, creative, passionate people to join our amazing team. Not only would you work with an incredible team, you would also receive great benefits and a pension plan to boot. Keep reading to find out if this role makes you feel excited to come to work each day!