- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Humane Canada™ is an organization that works towards the respect and humane treatment of all animals within Canada. As a team member, you will work with a Management Team that advances the welfare of animals on a national stage and will be involved in promoting the interests of animals to government, policy makers, industry and the public at large.
The Manager of Operations will be responsible for the daily functions of Humane Canada™ in a remote environment, including the financial and corporate administration of the organization, human resources and ensuring effective project and program management along with regular communication between departments in order to facilitate the successful implementation of goals and objectives aligned to the strategic plan.
The role offers opportunity for an individual interested in a dynamic growth environment with a passion for service delivery and systems thinking while maintaining focus on the mission of the organization, which is to advance the welfare of animals in Canada by ending animal cruelty, improving animal protection and promoting the humane treatment of all animals.
Financial & Corporate Administration and Day-to-Day Accounting Functions
- Manage the day-to-day accounting functions in a fully remote environment including accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Liaise with the bank and other financial services suppliers.
- Prepare bank reconciliation monthly for all bank accounts for review.
- Prepare requisitions and cheques/bank drafts/transfers for monthly cheque disbursements to suppliers.
- Prepare payroll for employees, ensuring proper government remittances are made and administer all transactions relating to group benefits.
- Maintain all financial files.
- Prepare requisitions and post all entries relating to accounts payable, accounts receivable and invoice and journal entries.
- Prepare Trial Balance and G/L Listing for year-end review by controller and all corresponding summaries necessary for year-end.
- Assists with the preparation of T-4 and T-4A forms and summaries.
- Monitor reporting dates for funders to ensure progress and/or financial reports are prepared and dispatched in a timely manner.
- Ensure all corporate documents are kept up-to-date. This includes Corporate Registration, non-profit/charitable status registration, corporate policies, and corporate bylaws.
- Ensures all organizational policies and procedures are accurate and up-to-date.
- Create and maintain robust Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Assemble and document information required for new and/or departed employees, sends information to appropriate sources as necessary.
- Maintain all necessary personnel records including tracking leave.
- Ensure workplace safety regulations are in effect in accordance with established legislation.
- Set and manage the performance management process
- Liaise with the CEO to support all hiring processes
Administrative and Organizational Support
- Oversee all daily functions of a remote organization and ensure that both short-term and long-term goals and objectives are met.
- In a distance environment, ensures effective and regular communication between departments.
- Develop and implement strategies in order to improve the performance of all departments including implementing an effective planning framework for the organization and ensure all policies and procedures are up to date.
- Assists with preparation and submission of reports, proposals to funders and other documents as required.
Support to the Board of Directors and Committees
- Provide support for Board of Directors and Committee including assembling board package for distribution to members and other relevant parties; preparing agendas, briefing reports, background documents and other correspondence in consultation with Chairperson and CEO.
- Accurately maintains the official minute book of the corporation.
- Provides logistical support for Annual General Meeting and other meetings as required.
- Contribute to the overall management of Humane Canada™, as a member of the Management team, by engaging in strategic planning and analysis, policy development, organizational reviews, budget preparation and control and operational decision-making.
- Work cooperatively with all members of the Management Team to ensure policy directions and key messages associated with same are integrated and presented effectively to funders and the general public.
- Represent Humane Canada™ to other organizations, stakeholders, community at large and the media as required.
- Education/Experience – University degree in a related field including accounting, administration, business, and finance, plus 4 - 6 years work experience in a management position. Project management certification would be considered an asset.
- Experience maintaining day-to-day finances of a non-profit organization and advanced knowledge of government/CRA requirements.
- Familiarity with managing remote teams.
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems thinking to organizational development and program management.
- English is essential; bilingual (English/French) an asset.
- Proficient with Quick Books, Raiser’s Edge, Sharepoint and Microsoft Teams.
- Understanding of Human Resources and implementation of best practices.
- Strong strategic and operational skills, with the ability to work in a highly collaborative, consultative environment with other staff and volunteers to achieve success.
- High degree of professionalism with the ability to prioritize to meet required deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Resourceful and organized; able to manage competing priorities, complex situations and deadlines while establishing and executing long-term plans, leveraging immediate opportunities and managing short-term objectives.
- Self-starter, team player and relationship possessing a positive, forward-thinking entrepreneurial approach to all areas of work.
Remote nature of position:
- Role is fully remote but candidate must be based in Ottawa.
- Successful candidate would be required to perform responsibilities reliably and effectively through technology.
- Working hours are flexible but availability will often be required between 9am and 5pm EST (Eastern Time Zone).
- Ability to travel for role within Canada from time to time.
More about Humane Canada™
Founded in 1957, Humane Canada™ represents SPCAs and Humane Societies from coast to coast to coast as well as an increasing number of municipalities, animal welfare groups and rescue organizations that make up the sector. We have a simple vision – a humane Canada. This vision was so important to us that in 2018 we publicly changed our name to Humane Canada. To achieve that vision we drive positive, progressive change to end animal cruelty, improve animal protection and promote the humane treatment of all animals.
As the convener of the largest animal welfare community in Canada, we advance the welfare of animals, with a strong national voice promoting the interests and concerns of animal welfare to government, policy makers, industry, and the public. We believe that each animal possesses intrinsic value, remarkable complexity, and inherent dignity, and as such is deserving of respect and moral concern. We elevate animal welfare through our values of collaboration and evidence-based thought leadership while building integrated, strategic professional teams that utilize systems thinking to create an effective and lasting change.
Should you be interested in learning more about this impactful opportunity with Humane Canada™, please apply today with your resume and a letter of introduction. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled when the right candidate is identified.
Humane Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.