Director of Operations and Administration
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- International Relief/Development/Peace
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Director of Operations & Administration in our Grand Challenges Canada Department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Grand Challenges Canada is dedicated to supporting Bold Ideas with Big Impact®. Funded by the Government of Canada and other partners, Grand Challenges Canada funds innovators in low- and middle-income countries and Canada. The bold ideas Grand Challenges Canada supports integrate science and technology, social and business innovation – known as Integrated Innovation®.
One of the largest impact-first investors in Canada, and with a feminist investment approach, Grand Challenges Canada has supported a pipeline of over 1000 innovations in more than 95 countries. Grand Challenges Canada estimates that these innovations have the potential to save up to 1 million lives and improve up to 28 million lives by 2030. Grand Challenges Canada (GCC) is seeking a Director of Operations & Administration.
As part of the management team, the Director of Operations & Administration is responsible for creating, implementing and managing internal operations and updates of and adherence to organizational policies. This role works in close collaboration with the program directors, the Director of Finance, the Co-CEOs, funders and other partners to enable effective and efficient administration and operations.
We are looking for a Director of Operations & Administration who loves human resources and is a “people person,” leads through empowering their team and is known to grow and cultivate a great organizational culture. The incumbent will need to be a ‘doer’ with outstanding judgement and demonstrated project management skills who will ensure projects are well managed and followed through to completion. The individual will have strong attention to detail to provide quality assurance of deliverables, including in the oversight aspects of the role. In addition, experience managing organizational change will be considered an asset. We are a growing and fast paced organization, so someone who can think on their feet and adapt to our changing environment is essential.
- Lead the organization’s Operations, Administration, Communications & Information Technology functions and Resources
- Lead the organization’s Human Resource function and act as primary liaison with the HR team at the University Health Network
- Lead the organization’s granting system (FLUXX) and related processes to support all phases of the innovation management cycle, including application intake, application review, data management & integrity, project reporting and staff training & engagement with the Knowledge Data Associate
Operations & Program Management
- Supervise IT Specialist, Executive Assistant, Operations Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator and Associate Communications Officer
- Oversee GCC’s Information Technology (IT) and Office Operations functions, including network infrastructure, Oversee office management and lease administration for the main office as well as the satellite office to ensure smooth operations
- Work in collaboration with the program directors (Director General, Development Innovation Programs, Director of Humanitarian Innovation, Director of Indigenous Innovation Initiative), and Director of Finance to provide leadership over the planning of quarterly and annual full team priorities, produce and manage the implementation of annual work plans and resourcing plans.
- Projects manage and oversee other critical projects that may arise, particularly during times of team transition.
- Act as a signing officer for contracts and payments, together with the Director of Finance, ensuring that no payments or contracts are signed without proper due diligence, internal approvals, and adherence to our policies and procedures.
- Manage the Operations & Communications annual budget envelope and corresponding procurements and contracts, with a commitment to ensuring core business needs are met and GCC’s spending targets are maintained
- Supervise Communications Officer
- Oversee the organization’s core communications platforms, including website and social media platforms and advise on strategy
- Lead the implementation of GCC’s media relations strategy, including but not limited to results communications (i.e. press releases, blog posts), and global outreach efforts for calls for applications
- Manage innovator conferences and strategic industry events with key partners and funders, such as Global Affairs Canada and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; as well as internal retreats and strategic meetings.
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Health Administration (MHA) or other graduate degree in a related field
- A minimum of five years of team leadership and people management experience
- PMP or Project Management certification valued
- Experience in change management or experience in leading organizational change valued
- Experience in impact investing and/or international development or humanitarian work and/or experience working with indigenous communities valued
- A minimum of five years of diverse project management experience
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work well independently and within a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and strong judgment
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, administrative and time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- The ability to work effectively across teams in a fast-paced, dynamic environment is essential
- Data Management interest and expertise considered a very important asset
- Event Management experience and Process Improvement expertise considered an asset
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line HERE. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter, and salary expectations. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Organization Description not provided