- Job Type
- Contract / Part Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Outdoor Educators. This group of individuals are the fabric that holds Evergreen’s Children’s Programs program together, ensuring a playful, engaging and safe experience for all participants. Their talents and interests are as diverse as their many contributions and each is relied upon for their unique skills, perspectives and experience.
Our Outdoor Educators contribute to the overall success of programs for school groups, children and families both in-person at Evergreen Brick Works and virtually by supporting a culture of experiential learning, healthy risk taking and connecting with nature in a hands on way.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core. For more than 25 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We’ve worked from coast to coast with governments, neighbourhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Outdoor Educators are responsible for core functions that range from program planning to delivery of safe and engaging programs, in support of our suite of Education and Outdoor Play programs.
Outdoor Educators play a key role in on-the-ground and virtual program delivery, utilizing their unique skills to help our programs come alive. An Outdoor Educator should have a passion for teaching, and hold knowledge of local ecology, geology, and history as well as a willingness to learn.
Outdoor Educators thrive in a dynamic outdoor setting and extend caring, creative support to both program participants and their colleagues; they are mature team-players and strong communicators who believe in the power and importance of outdoor play and nature connection in transforming children’s lives.
- Deliver engaging public and private educational programs, primarily outdoor or virtually facilitated nature-based activities for children within Evergreen’s Education programs; Visiting Schools Program, Evergreen At Your School and Virtually Outdoors; Kids Clubs and Birthday Parties
- Liaise with teachers to meet classroom expectations during school visits
- Provide detailed feedback and evaluation of programs
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training;
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and clients and act as an ambassador for Evergreen Brick Works;
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor;
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the Children’s Program team
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Manager in a timely way;
- Communicate a summary of program statistics and experience to supervisor;
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs
- Communication. Communicate in a confident, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques depending on the audience.
- Attention to detail. Will not let important details slip through the cracks
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjust quickly to changing circumstances, priorities and conditions, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
You have the following qualifications:
- 1-3 years education or experience in children’s environmental education and recreational programming, community engagement, youth engagement, and/or community programming
- Experience and comfort facilitating virtual learning experiences for children ages 5-14
- Experience working with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities
- Experience delivering educational programs in the outdoors
- Current standard first aid & CPR training
- Complete a successful vulnerable sector police reference check
- Experience with Nature Connection Routines and Outdoor Experiential Education
- Knowledge of online virtual facilitation tools, software and approaches
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences/Studies, Arts or similar
- Knowledge of Stewardship and Ecological Restoration practices
- OCT Qualification
- Supervised by: Program Manager
- Willingness to work remotely facilitating virtual programming for children and youth
- Working outdoors with a variety of people, primarily children
- Participate in flood preparation, evacuation and clean-up activities when necessary
- Available Monday to Sunday on a part-time basis
- Variable hours - up to 24 hours/week
- Contract Part-Time Hourly
Application Close Date: March 25, 2021