Youth Worker (Evenings)
- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Old Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
YMCA of Greater Toronto
(Full Time Salaried Contract)
Please submit salary expectations in cover letter
Effective Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Youth Outreach and Intervention
Location: Vanauley Street YMCA
Why work for our Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 6,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature & Scope: Vanauley St YMCA, YMCA House:
The Vanauley St. YMCA, YMCA House provides 24-hour emergency shelter services to young men ages 16 to 24, and provides services to youth ages 16-24 that are experiencing homelessness. The Vanauley St. YMCA House is a Trans positive space, gender is self-identified. All sexual orientations and gender diversity are welcome and celebrated through support services at the emergency shelter. Shelter staff provides support to make positive changes with youth facing challenging social and personal circumstances. All staff contributes meaningfully to ensuring positive outcomes for residents. Residents are supported to grow, gaining developmentally appropriate skills and knowledge; all staff model a collaborative, cooperative approach ensuring access to services for residents; all staff assist residents to find more suitable and permanent housing; the team encourage leadership, confidence, and self-discovery among residents. At all times youth workers treat residents with respect and dignity practicing from anti-oppression, harm reduction, mental health recovery, trauma-informed, and other strengths-based frameworks.
Provides initial screening and intake of potential residents, orients new residents to the program, and redirects admissions when appropriate and within established criteria.
Provides supervision of Y House routines, support to individual residents and the resident community at the shelter, and imposes service restrictions only when necessary to protect the health, safety, and security of the shelter.
Provides positive interactions, crisis intervention, supportive counselling and practical assistance to participants in consultation with other members of the team including Team Leader and/or Manager.
Responds to emergency and crisis situations following appropriate procedures; ensures the safety and security of all staff and residents at all times; provides support to other staff in crisis situations.
Assists in identifying and responding to issues related to the building and house mechanical systems
Participates in individual supervision, staff meetings, case conferences, workshops and committees as required; circulates through all program areas to support the total program delivered in the Youth-in-Need of Housing unit where applicable.
Documents according to current professional standards any significant interactions with residents, maintains appropriate documentation in case files and logs, and completes incident reports when required; records the relevant status of all residents, issues late and guest passes as required.
Completes case note documentation and maintains resident case files; ensures quality audit measures are achieved in accordance with the YMCA and funder’s standards; completes data entry in the Shelter Management Information System (SMIS) and ensures all administrative tasks are completed as assigned.
Adheres to all YMCA House protocols and practices as well as Association and other relevant policies and procedures.
Participates in supervision, staff meetings and professional development trainings as required.
Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
Other duties as assigned.
- Post -secondary degree/diploma in social work or related discipline
- 2 + years professional experience, preferably working with marginalized youth an asset
- Valid training certificate in defusing hostility and/or crisis prevention required
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate; knowledge of safety and security procedures related to shelter operations
- Training certificate in LGBTQ2S and trans-positivity or related experience
- Knowledge of the issues that lead young people to become homeless, and an ability to work with youth in a respectful, non-judgmental and consistent manner
- Knowledge and ability to integrate anti-oppression, critical disability, LGBTQ2S and trans-positivity, trauma, harm reduction, recovery approach in support to mental health and strengths-based principles into practice
- Knowledge of transitional, shelter, and other housing systems in Toronto, ability to assist youth transitioning into adulthood through developmentally appropriate support
- Possesses relevant knowledge of community resources and referral agencies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Basic knowledge in a kitchen and food preparation
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity.
- Experience in Windows, Word/WP, Excel/SMIS
- Ability to work flexible shifts: weekends, statutory holidays, on call shifts
- Must be willing and able to accept shifts at all Youth Outreach and Intervention(YOI) programs as required
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; Teamwork and Collaboration; fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Being Member Focused; Relationship Building and Partnering; Being Results Focused; Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion;
Please send résumé and cover letter quoting
job posting #0086 by Monday, September 28, 2020 to:
7 Vanauley Street, Toronto ON M5T 2V9
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About the YMCA of Greater Toronto:
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plans Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org