- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
A Career Opportunity
At UNICEF, we work tirelessly to ensure children survive, wherever children’s lives are at risk. As part of the UN, we are active in more countries and have saved more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization.
By embarking on an ambitious campaign, we will reach every child, even those in the most remote and hard-to-reach places with the essentials that every child and every family needs to survive. Because no child is too far.
Consider joining us as our:
(Permanent; Full-time; based in Toronto)
The Director, Communications is responsible for raising the profile of UNICEF Canada through integrated strategic communications initiatives. These include forging positive media and key influencer relationships, brand communications, content creation across all mediums including the web, reputation management and CEO communications support, including speeches. The Director also leads all internal communications efforts, emergency communications and provides leadership support as it relates to international issues, domestic advocacy (One Youth), campaign messaging and the development of corporate communications materials
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Planning & Program Management (60%)
- Lead the development of communications strategies that serve to amplify UNICEF Canada as a thought leader in the area of international development and child well-being
- Work effectively with all parts of the organizations to ensure the successful accomplishment of UNICEF Canada’s strategic objectives in fundraising, programs and advocacy.
- Work with the Deputy Director, Marketing to develop integrated communications and marketing plans to build UNICEF Canada’s brand in Canada.
- Provide key support to all CEO communications.
- Develop an annual operating plan and budget, forecasting requirements, monitoring variances and initiating corrective actions as required
- Ensure consistent, integrated internal and external communications to build a strong organizational identity across all mediums (e.g. social, web, media, etc.)
- Contribute to the development of advocacy and fundraising initiatives, as well as ensure and/or collaborate to the production of key UNICEF Canada marketing and communications materials to directly support campaigns and other /initiatives
- Co-lead, with Marketing, the development of corporate assets, such as donor impact reports.
- Develop a robust media relations strategy that situates UNICEF Canada as the go-to organization on key international issues.
- Provide communications leadership during Emergencies.
- Oversee all communications related to UNICEF Canada’s ONE YOUTH initiative
- Develop content and stories in conjunction with Marketing, that engage Canadians.
- Manage a group of communications professionals in the area of media, social, digital and corporate communications.
- Be an effective team-builder who motivates the team to work cross-functionally.
- Lead and manage people resources by communicating job expectations, planning for, monitoring and appraising job results
- Influence performance levels through ongoing coaching and counselling, while enforcing organizational values, policies and procedures
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with communications colleagues at UNICEF international, other UNICEF National Committees and key advocacy and government partners
- Actively participate in the organizational strategic planning process to help ensure growth in all areas
- Act as senior communications contact in Canada for UNICEF international and National Committees
- Develop key relationships with media
- Act as UNICEF Canada spokesperson when appropriate
- Provide strategic communications advice to the Executive and Leadership Team as required.
- Post-secondary degree in Communication, Journalism, Marketing, or related field
- Minimum eight years previous experience in a senior communications capacity, including experience in crisis management
- Staff management and team-building experience
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Integrated approach to communications, branding and marketing
- Strong budgeting and management skills
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Strong commitment to customer service (internal and external)
- Experience in international development/affairs communications is an asset
- French/English bilingualism is an asset
- Self Sufficient with MS Office applications
Please note that the starting salary range is $108,000 to $115,000.
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.