Fundraising and Communications Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Community & Social Services
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Matthew House is a nationally recognized Faith-based leader in welcoming, assisting and resettling newly arrived refugee claimants who would otherwise be homeless. In addition to our main reception house, we have three transition homes where particularly vulnerable residents, such as unaccompanied teens, may stay and receive longer-term support. Over the past few years Matthew House, due to the ever-increasing need, has been growing and naturally, our fundraising programs need to grow in response.
We are looking for an energetic and passionate Manager of Fundraising and Communications, to take Matthew House’s solid fundraising foundation and communication channels to the next level. Providing strategic leadership for, management and oversight of, philanthropic and sponsorship activities, marketing and communications efforts that will enable the organization to have an even greater impact on sheltering and resettling refugees in Canada.
The primary purpose of this hands-on position is to build on the success of our existing programs, particularly our monthly donor program and to help create new business opportunities. In addition to supporting the on-going development, management and stewarding of existing donors and members of the Matthew House community, this role is tasked with growing our donor base and identifying corporate sponsorship and partnership opportunities. Ensuring all organizational communication channels are on brand, improve engagement and raise awareness is a vital part of this role.
Reporting to the Executive Director, s/he will build and manage the team while developing strategic and integrated short and long-term strategies supported by detailed budgets, identified measurable targets and performance goals. The incumbent will be a member of the management team and provide reporting to the Development Committee of the board of directors.
Our ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset and a belief in our mission. They will have built and managed teams, developed strategic, and integrated marketing communication plans supported with detailed budgets, identified measurable targets and performance goals. Strong business acumen and deep understanding of digital and social media as vehicles for branding and fundraising is a must. We are also looking for excellent organizational and project management skills and experience in working and managing relationships with internal and external, stakeholders. In short, we are looking for a total team player who is individually accountable.
- Drive brand awareness of Matthew House and our current fundraising priorities within the community, and supporting giving across all revenue streams
- Advance the Compelling Case for Support and collateral for all revenue generating campaigns
- Demonstrate the relevance of Matthew House as a leader in inspiring hope, restoring dignity, and empowering independence for refugee claimants to attract philanthropic affiliation, and
- Apply proven cost-effective and results-driven marketing approaches to all fundraising channels.
- Working alongside the Executive Director, manage, deploy and evaluate a comprehensive annual and multi-year fundraising strategy, work plans and tactics to elevate the organization’s fundraising by identifying, cultivating, securing and stewarding individual, corporate and foundation donors and sponsors.
- Key areas of focus are:
- major gifts
- planned and monthly/annual giving programs
- grant writing
- fundraising events
- Develop standards, procedures, and conventions for data and database use to ensure that proper documentation, procedures and policies are maintained for data integrity and the protection of private information and data.
- Oversee and manage fundraising event activities, leveraging these events for both fundraising and donor relations purposes.
- Oversee the maintenance of the fundraising database(s) including ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the database and the protection of personal information.
- Develop, manage, deploy and evaluate an integrated marketing communications strategy, work plans and tactics to create awareness of Matthew House of the issues surrounding asylum claimants and refugees in general in the city and nationally.
- Develop and implement a range of communications and marketing activities to increase awareness and understanding of Matthew House.
- Develop and implement the media relations program.
- University degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5 years+ previous experience in a similar fundraising position.
- CFRE certification (preferred) or similar fundraising certification.
Matthew House, based in Toronto, is a nationally recognized leader in welcoming, assisting and resettling newly arrived refugee claimants who would otherwise be homeless. In addition to our main reception house, we have three transition homes where particularly vulnerable residents, such as unaccompanied teens or single mothers, may stay and receive longer-term support.
Since opening in 1998, Matthew House has assisted over 2,000 refugee claimants from 100 nations. We welcome all refugees regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation or political opinion and strive to make Matthew House a place where the dignity and hope of refugees are restored.