Aboriginal Patient Navigator
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Hamilton, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Roles and Responsibilities:
Case Management and System Navigation
- Directly support clients, caregivers and families to communicate with physicians, nurses, social workers, discharge planners, community workers and members of the health care team, Traditional Healers, Elders, and knowledge keepers, etc.
- Identify barriers and gaps facing Aboriginal community members accessing the health care system and assist with problem solving and finding resolutions to improve access.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the healthcare system including points of access, referral processes, service eligibility requirements etc.
Education and Promotion
- Assist with development of marketing and promotion strategies on the role and services to Aboriginal peoples, etc.
- Deliver informational presentations, provider education sessions, participate in case conferences, spread awareness of program and services through various forms of community engagement.
- Ability to complete monthly reporting requirements, contribute to program planning and team initiatives, comply with privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures.
In addition to requirements for the position, the ideal candidate would also possess some of the following qualifications:
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree in a social work or health care related field preferred.
- 3+ years experience working in an Aboriginal health and/or social service organization, hospital or community-based case management, health promotion, public health or social work is essential.
- Knowledge of community resources, specifically Aboriginal programs and services in Hamilton and surrounding area;
- Knowledge of case management/system navigation models and principles.
- Experience working with and extensive knowledge of Aboriginal Peoples language, culture, customs and traditions.
- Previous experience working with LHIN Homecare Services and regional/tertiary health centers would be an asset.
- Knowledge of tools, systems (Electronic Medical Records) and databases used in client services delivery and case management.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre has developed a compensation philosophy that will allow the organization to retain, motivate and develop talented people who share our values and contribute to our success.