Community Support Worker (Semi-Independent Living)
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Gloucester, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKER (SEMI-INDEPENDENT LIVING)
DSW, or relevant education and experience in the field.
Why Join our Team? You will be joining a diverse, inclusive, and passionate team of employees who are dedicated to making a meaningful difference in the lives of the individuals we support. We offer:
- On-going learning and career development opportunities.
- Membership in a matching RRSP program.
- Extended Health, Dental and Vision Care.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Friendly, respectful, supportive, and inclusive work environment.
NOTE: A VALID DRIVER'S LICENCE & VEHICLE IS REQUIRED. Mileage paid when on shift (0.55 cents per kilometer.)
In the Semi-Independent Living (SIL) program, the worker provides person-centered and flexible supports to individuals in community programming. The worker will work directly with individuals with a developmental disability, physical disability, challenging behaviours and/or a dual diagnosis in helping set goals and in making healthy life choices. Supports are provided in many settings which could include shelters, hospital settings, person's home, agency location, etc.
Shifts consist of a scheduled rotation with mainly 8 hour shifts, including days/evenings/weekends. Rotation is either Sunday to Thursday with Friday & Saturday off or Tuesday to Saturday with Sunday & Monday off.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand and promote the rights and responsibilities of the individuals. Empower and treat all individuals with respect and dignity.
- Work independently or within a team to prioritize and complete shift requirements while still meeting the individual’s needs.
- Provide support to individuals by carrying out duties and following their support plans, considering their choices, needs, and actively involving them.
- Identify social, economic, recreational, physical, vocational, and educational services in the community that will meet the individual’s needs. Provide support guidance and instruction to facilitate participation.
- Participate in assessment, goal setting, and program planning for the individual. Efficiently plan and maintain a caseload of assigned individuals.
- Perform delegated tasks as directed by professionals, such as administering medications and completing range of motion according to medical professional’s instructions within established agency Policies and Procedures and Individual Support Plans.
- Provide support in areas of personal hygiene while maintaining the individual’s dignity and respect.
- May have to perform general cleaning duties.
- Ensure accuracy, confidentiality and safekeeping of agency records.
- Ensure completion of administrative work.
- Develop and maintain respectful and positive cooperative working relationships to contribute to the integrated, seamless delivery of services from ICSS, including individuals, staff, families, community partners, etc.
- DSW, or relevant education and experience in the field.
- Experience with individualized plans.
- Cooking and cleaning skills.
- Ability to organize, plan, and prioritize work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow direction and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions accordingly.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and support new and unacquainted individuals with minimal information.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
- Possess a valid driver’s licence.
- Access to personal vehicle for work purposes.
- Possess a driver’s abstract with less than four minor convictions and no serious convictions.
- Possess valid vehicle insurance.
- Must provide a clean Vulnerable Sector Police Check.
- Must provide a valid First Aid/CPR Level C certificate.
- Must provide a letter of good health and documentation indicating all up-to-date applicable immunizations.
Please include your resume as well as a cover letter outlining your accomplishments and indicating why you would be suitable for this position. We thank all candidates applying. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates will be contacted via email.
No phone calls please.
ICSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Driving Licence (required)
- First Aid Certification (required)
- CPR Certification (required)
Work Location: In person