Training Programs Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Employment Training and Development
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Mental health conditions or addictions can get in the way of stable employment for many. At Rise, we break down barriers and change futures through our innovative small business services. Rise is the only national charity providing people a path toward sustained self-employment or small businesses ownership. We personalize our services to support each client with a combination of training, resources, mentorship, and low interest microloans. The result? Our clients improve their financial stability and make positive life changes to benefit their families and communities alike.
Rise was established in 2009 as a joint initiative of the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). In ten years of operation, Rise has trained and coached over 1,000 clients, disbursed more than $1.8 million dollars in 450+ small loans, and paired over 250 volunteer business mentors.
Rise’s Lending Program provides people with access to low-interest small business loans – up to $10,000 – and wraparound support. Rise Training Programs provide business advice, education and mentorship to people with lived experience aged 16 and up, across Canada. Our programs help entrepreneurs sharpen their skills and succeed in the business world by applying innovative approaches to business development through online, classroom-based and blended learning opportunities. Clients from all our programs receive business mentoring and coaching from volunteers. Mentoring provides Rise entrepreneurs with business advice and guidance from someone who has relatable skills to help them navigate challenges as they plan, launch and grow their businesses.
The impact of Rise goes beyond the number of people served and number of loans disbursed. Rise changes lives with measurable social impact. Our clients improve their financial stability, reduce reliance on social assistance, and make positive life changes to benefit their families and communities.
- Rise clients reported a 78% increase in business and personal income;
- Rise clients reported a 67% decrease in reliance on income support programs;
- 75% of clients state that Rise increased their access to knowledge and professional advice;
- 72% of Rise clients feel that establishing their own business has contributed to the reduction of stigma associated with mental health and addiction challenges; and
- 70% of Rise clients reported an increase in self-confidence.
Rise became a national organization in 2018 and we continue to grow rapidly. We’re looking to recruit someone very dynamic for this important role. If you are looking to be part of something very special with lots of room for personal and professional growth and accomplishment, join us!
We are looking for a passionate self-starter to be the face of Rise’s Training Programs, to take charge of all facets of our programs across Canada and work with the Rise team to formalize and execute a program strategy.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Rise Training Programs Manager will lead our four main training programs:
- Peer Supported StartUp Program
- Youth Small Business Program
- EnterpRISEing Youth Plus
- EnterpRISEingYouth.ca, our free online entrepreneurship program
The Training Programs Manager will also work with delivery partners, like the Elizabeth Fry Society of Toronto to deliver custom entrepreneurship training in various communities.
The ideal candidate is a strong advocate for people with lived experience, exhibits solid program management skills, is entrepreneurial, decisive and independent and can communicate to a diverse range of audiences. To be successful, the Training Programs Manager must be highly organized, detail oriented, resourceful and self-assured. We are a small but mighty team looking for someone with the right combination of program management experience, ability to think beyond a job description and strong dedication to our mission.
Key Job Responsibilities
1) Program Strategy
Rise is an innovative, human-centred organization that continues to grow. As Training Programs Manager, you will
- Develop over-arching Training Program strategy to innovate Training Programs and develop synergies between other Rise services (ie: Mentoring, Lending)
- Develop and implement program innovation projects
- Actively participate in Rise’s strategic planning process and ensure Training Programs support organizational goals
- Support fundraising efforts for program innovations and sustainability by researching funding opportunities and participating in proposal writing and budgeting.
2) Programs Management
- Develop program budgets and manage to ensure efficiency and sustainability
- Onboard and support a team of facilitators, coordinators and program delivery partners (local and national), who will conduct outreach, recruit participants (245 annually) and volunteers (65 annually) and use Rise Program Toolkits to deliver our programs across four provinces. Annually Rise offers:
- 3 chorts of Peer Supported StartUp across the GTA
- 2 chorts of My Start Up peer training (Elizabeth Fry Toronto partnership)
- 2 chorts of Youth Small Business Program in Toronto
- 6 chorts of EnteprRISEing Youth+ in 3 locations across Canada (Edmonton, Vancouver & Halifax)
- Represent Rise head office by attending pitch events / graduation ceremonies for each training program cohort (some national travel may be required)
- Enhance staff training and professional development to help facilitators and coordinators to better serve and support the diverse needs of our clients.
- Strategize on the use of appropriate marketing channels to reach key audiences and monitor the success of your outreach strategies.
- Liaise with external stakeholders (ie: vendors, contract staff and partners) to sustain national program operations
- Collaborate with Lending Program Manager to develop best practices in transitioning clients (when appropriate) through the Rise life cycle and share processes with program staff
3) Community Partnership Development and Stewardship
- Use your contacts to cultivate a prospect list of local service providers and share with Training Programs Team and Rise Mentor Manager to support outreach efforts and the recruitment of clients and volunteers.
- Steward relationships with relevant Rise stakeholders, including but not limited to program funders, volunteers, program delivery partners, contract staff and vendors to develop and strengthen Rise’s relationship.
- Lead and support special projects and events to steward the Rise community
4) Program Evaluation and Reporting
Monitoring, evaluating and learning from past experiences are critical components of Rise’s program offerings. As Training Programs Manager, you will
- Use current program evaluation plans and tools and develop or expand if needed
- Ensure that any funder deliverables are tracked and achieved
- Monitor and complete all reporting requirements
- Communicate outcomes in a way that engages all stakeholders (from volunteers to program funders) and adds to the Rise story.
- Make recommendations to management for program improvements
- Track the performance and ensure proper recognition of all program volunteers
- Update the design and content of Program Toolkits as needed
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work, Business, or equivalent, with 5+ years of relevant business and/or educational experience ideally with people who face barriers to employment and financial stability.
- Demonstrated program management skills and experience (including program development, implementation and evaluation). Project management skills are an asset
- Demonstrated experience in learning and development, education and training.
- A background working with people who face barriers to employment and financial stability and/or individuals who have experienced mental health or addiction is an asset.
- The ability to strategize at the macro and micro level of the organization and program development is an asset
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team (with some remote partners), efficiently and independently
- Self-directed and proactive with a dedication to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (oral and written).
Launched in 2009, Rise is the only national charity dedicated to helping people who have experienced barriers to meaningful employment due to mental health and addiction challenges. Rise provides training, resources and low-interest microloans so clients can pursue self-employment.