Marketing Specialist- Content and Community
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
About ALS Canada
A charitable organization that lives its values of accountability, collaboration, compassion, integrity, resiliency and respect, ALS Canada works with the ALS community to improve the lives of people affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis through support, advocacy and investment in research for a future without ALS. Fully funded by donors, we were fortunate to benefit from the generosity of Canadians during the Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014, and are now focused on implementing our 2018 to 2023 strategic plan in support of the following long-term impacts: people affected by ALS receive the best possible standard of care; more treatments are available to improve quality of life and extend lifespan; and people are empowered to make informed decisions about ALS.
Our world is challenging. The people we serve are dealing with a devastating illness. But in the midst of it, their resiliency and spirit is remarkable and moving. You will be touched by the community and will find a way to naturally and effectively engage.
Reporting to the Manager, Integrated Marketing and Brand Strategy, the Content Strategist is responsible for planning ALS Canada’s content strategy, creating and executing written and visual content for online and offline media, monitoring our social media channels and engaging our community on these platforms. The Content Strategist will use metrics and data gathered from our monitoring and analytics platforms to shape content plans and create content relevant to our audiences with a focus on awareness, advocacy, research, client services and community connection. A significant focus of this role is engaging with the ALS community through telephone and email interviews to support content development.
The ideal candidate is an audience-centric marketer- a resourceful self-starter who wants to be part of creating a renewed presence for the ALS Society of Canada in a collaborative, fast-paced and results-focused environment. You understand the importance of customer experience and can develop content that drives web traffic and guides visitors through a journey/funnel. You are someone who takes initiative while demonstrating excellent judgment and a keen awareness of how your work connects with other areas of the organization and the community at large. You are flexible, comfortable in an evolving role with few precedents, adept in navigating a complex, multi-stakeholder environment, and can admirably balance a high volume of work with high-quality output. You demonstrate leadership within your area of responsibility and will ideally be bilingual in English and French. You have two to four years of relevant experience and want to do meaningful work with an engaged community in support of a cause that requires significant awareness and support.
Content planning and development
- Develop and implement an integrated content strategy for the organization
- Create and maintain the content calendar to support planning of external touchpoints
- Create and publish high-quality written and visual content on all social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Develop reactive and time-sensitive social media content that responds to developments in the external environment
- Engage with and interview people who are part of the ALS community to develop blog posts and social media content, with a strong focus on storytelling to drive conversions
- Edit and proofread content with an eagle eye for detail
- Serve as centralized point of contact with the organization’s translation vendor, coordinating and prioritizing translation requests as needed
Social media monitoring, engagement and measurement
- Manage multiple social media properties to drive engagement, grow and cultivate community. Due to the “always on” nature of social media, there is opportunity for flexibility with work schedule.
- Monitor the broader social media environment to identify relevant content sharing opportunities
- Identify and execute opportunities to enrich organic and paid digital content and increase community engagement on social media to drive website traffic.
- Track, analyze and report on social media metrics using a variety of analytics tools
- Maintain the organization’s social media guidelines
- Serve as a social media resource and subject matter expert to staff and volunteers
- Champion and comply with ALS Canada brand and style guidelines
- Participate in the development of the organization’s marketing and public affairs plan
- Provide input and recommendations into marketing and communications guidelines and procedures
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization, occasionally working evenings or weekends for event-related support
- Provide ad hoc support for department and organization needs
- Other duties as required
- 2-4 years of relevant working experience with clear demonstration of results
- Post-secondary education in a related subject area (e.g. marketing, journalism, communications)
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in social media management, including measurement and community engagement
- Proficient using image editing software (e.g. Canva, Photoshop)
- Intermediate knowledge of and experience using Google Analytics and other tracking methods
- Experience tracking content engagement and web traffic, data analysis and reporting on final metrics
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.)
- Strong English written and verbal communication abilities
- Demonstrated excellent storytelling abilities with a high degree of sensitivity and empathy
- Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Interested in working with people and families affected by ALS
- Familiarity with the needs of an organization that communicates in both official languages
- A willingness to contribute on any level within the organization
- French proficiency with bilingual ability, both verbal and written
- Experience in a non-profit healthcare organization
- A valid driver’s license
Submit a cover letter and resume in pdf format, along with a portfolio demonstrating your support on recent projects, to jobs@ALS.ca. Please be sure to indicate the job title in the email subject. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
ALS Canada would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
ALS Canada is committed to accommodating the individual needs of job candidates, In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), ALS Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities within our recruitment processes. Please contact the HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the recruitment process.
ALS Canada is committed to being an equitable employer, we strongly encourage people from equity seeking groups to apply.
Organization Description not provided