Community Worker, Our Home Program
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Massey Centre (“the Centre”) is an award-winning, accredited Children’s Mental Health Centre that is a multi-service, non-profit, unionized, community agency located in the east end of Toronto. The Centre is committed to nurturing empowerment, independence and growth for young pregnant and parenting women, children and families in a non-judgmental, inclusive environment by providing a residential care and treatment program; supportive transitional housing; on-site high school program, community housing support and referral services; and maternal infant mental health programs and services. We do this by working collaboratively as a multi-disciplinary team with community partners to provide holistic programs and support that respond to mental health, education and transitional needs. The Centre also operates an EarlyON Child and Family Centre and an Early Learning Centre. All the programs and services are open to families, young women and their children living in the broader community.
The Centre has a full time Community Worker opening in the Baby & Me: Our Home program.
The Community Worker will provide direct care programs and services to our clients and adolescent parents living in the community. The Community Worker will help young parents to transition successfully from inadequate housing or homelessness into safe, affordable stable housing with appropriate community supports, and ensure that they maintain housing. As a member of the multi-disciplinary team, the Community Worker conducts therapeutic and housing-related educational programming at the individual and group levels to ensure that the goals, objectives and outcomes of the e Baby & Me – Our Home Program.
Position: Community Worker, Our Home Program
Term: Permanent Full-time (40 hours/week)
Rate of Pay: $41,897.08 per annum
Department: Community Programs
Reports to: Manager, Community Programs
- Child and Youth Worker diploma or related Bachelor’s degree
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR and CPI
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a community-based organization that supports the needs of vulnerable populations.
- Experience assisting young parent families with complex physical and mental health challenges
- Knowledge of housing legislation, rental subsidy and income support programs.
- Knowledge of Housing First, Harm Reduction and Eviction Prevention approach
- Experience working with a trauma informed lens
- Ability to respond to and support young families with mental health and needs and addictions
- Experience supporting young families with complex case management issues
- Experience supporting young families both individually and in group setting to find and keep their housing.
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent knowledge of community resources related to homelessness and adolescent parents and their children.
- Good oral, written and presentation skills.
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset.
- Proficient with word processing, data collection systems and email software.
- Physical demands – lifting, walking, climbing stairways, bending, carrying items as required by program needs
- Work staggered hours to provide coverage between 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. during weekdays, and occasional weekends
- Occasional travel to meetings and appointments with clients.
Closing Date: August 19, 2020; 5:00 p.m.
The Centre offers a dynamic work environment and career advancement opportunities. The successful candidate must have a negative criminal reference check and vulnerable sector screening as a condition of employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Massey Centre’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Please make your needs known in advance.
Massey Centre encourages applications from persons who represent the diverse populations we serve.
Qualified applicants should send their cover letter and resume by the closing date to:
1102 Broadview Avenue
Toronto, ON M4K 2S5
Email: email@example.com (please quote "Community Worker, Our Home Program, Full-time" in the subject line)
We thank all applicants, however, only those we select for interview will be contacted.