MaRS Accountant, Finance
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Junior/Entry level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Economic Development
- Impact Category
- Social Enterprise
- Company Type
About this position
Toronto's MaRS Discovery District is one of the world's largest urban innovation centres, cultivating high-impact ventures and equipping innovators to drive economic and social prosperity in Canada. MaRS supports entrepreneurs in the sectors of media and technology, cleantech and healthcare by providing them with advice, education and market research, and connecting them to talent, customers and capital. An independent registered charity, MaRS also works with private and public sector partners to create solutions that open market access for ventures and generate social impact.
Reporting to the Manager, Finance Systems and Operations, the Accountant will support general accounting processes for MaRS Discovery District and related entities, including journal entries, month end close and account reconciliations. This individual will provide back up support for the accounts payable and accounts receivable function.
In addition, the Accountant will support the Senior Accountants with full cycle general accounting responsibilities for the MaRS programs and departments. They will also support the team by creating and maintaining detailed budget and forecast models.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and proactive, with a strong knowledge of accounting and business principles, and an advanced knowledge of MS Excel. This individual is eager to learn, has strong customer-service skills and adapts well to change.
Key Job Responsibilities
• Ensure monthly accruals and journal entries are prepared on a timely basis for completion of monthly close
• Perform bank reconciliations on a timely basis, ensuring that all related bank entries are posted and variances are resolved/clarified
• Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations for review, highlighting issues to be resolved and preparing adjusting entries as required
• Ensure monthly general ledger account reconciliations are prepared for review, highlighting issues to be resolved and preparing adjusting entries as required
• Compile, review, and record information from various systems/sources into the accounting software, including Concur Expenses, Payroll Costs, and Corporate Card purchases
• Analyze financial and non-financial information by querying ERP and other systems.
• Provide support for various audits through preparation of schedules and supporting documentation
• Assist with the preparation of detailed annual budget and forecast for assigned departments and programs
• Act as back up for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable Administrator.
• Other projects as assigned
• University degree/College Diploma
• Pursuing professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA or CMA) with compensating business-experience.
• 1-3 years’ work experience
• Advanced MS Excel skills
• Experience in general ledger and account reconciliations
• Experience in Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Attention to detail and quality without losing sight of bigger picture
• Embrace collaborative sharing of knowledge within a teamwork environment
• Able to contribute and collaborate cross functionally
• Exceptional service orientation with strong interpersonal skills
• Driven to achieving results and continuously striving to deliver the highest performance through creative thinking
• Ability to manage shifting priorities and function calmly and effectively under pressure
• Self-motivated and confident in own abilities
• High integrity and transparency
• Values diversity and culture
This position is based at the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Based in Toronto’s Discovery District, MaRS is the world’s largest urban innovation hub.
Focusing on four key sectors – health, energy & environment, finance & commerce and work & learning – MaRS supports more than 1,000 ventures that are striving to make the world a better place. MaRS provides these ventures with expert advice, and connects them to capital, talent and new markets to accelerate their growth and scale up their impact.
MaRS is also home to cutting-edge research institutes advancing knowledge in areas like healthcare and artificial intelligence, as well as the Canadian offices for several globally leading tech companies like Facebook, PayPal, Autodesk and Airbnb.
MaRS supports scaling ventures that create jobs, increase prosperity and help tackle important societal issues like climate change or rising healthcare costs.
MaRS has also been instrumental in growing Canada’s market for socially conscious investments through its Centre for Impact Investing and SVX online investing platform.
On the capital side, MaRS manages a fund (MaRS Catalyst Fund) that invests in companies creating positive social or environmental change, and also manages the StandUp Ventures fund, which invests in women-led tech startups.
What it's like to work here
The MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub. It draws 6,000 researchers, innovators and entrepreneurs to work each day at a diverse, curated tenant mix of startups, scaleups and multinational high-tech companies in the building.
MaRS itself is a lean organization with a flat management structure. Dedicated to supporting startups, the culture is entrepreneurial and employees are encouraged to find unique solutions to problems. Teams tend to be small and responsible for the full lifecycle of a project, from ideation and design to development and rollout.
MaRS employees enjoy extras, such as:
i. Access to a wide range of tech industry events that take place in the MaRS Centre, such as the MaRS Mornings entrepreneur talks.
ii. An active social committee that organizes regular events, “serendipity coffees” to meet members of other teams, a summer games tournament, team-building outings and summer golf day.
iii. MaRS softball team, free weekly yoga in the atrium, and discounted gym memberships
iv. Indoor bike parking and showers
Career Growth Opportunities
Career growth at MaRS is fostered by the breadth of experiences and educational opportunities available to employees, as well as exposure to startups, entrepreneurs and diverse networks. Personal development opportunities set the foundation for a successful career within and beyond the organization.
For employees at an earlier stage in their career, the innovation ecosystem and entrepreneurial environment offer opportunities to develop expertise in some of the most important sectors of the economy.
What We Look For When Hiring
MaRS seeks candidates who have an entrepreneurial spirit, who are collaborative and team-oriented and share a passion for innovation and MaRS’ mission.
Candidates should be motivated by the prospect of continuous learning, improving their skills and being given the responsibility to manage projects and find novel solutions to problems.
MaRS looks for people whose unique personal experiences and background can add to its culture of innovation.