Community Crossing Guard - Ottawa School Zones
- Job Type
- Part time
- Job Level
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
We are looking for responsible, reliable people who care about safety in their community, enjoy working with adults and children, and enjoy being active in the outdoors.
You've seen them at the intersections in your neighbourhood, but did you know that being a Crossing Guard provides you with the opportunity to earn extra income while contributing to the safety of the children in your neighbourhood. You'll be able to tailor a schedule to fit your life, meet new friends, and stay active and get outside.
Here's what you'll do as a Crossing Guard
Crossing Guards are responsible for ensuring that both children and adults pass safely through their assigned crossing, according to applicable safety standards and regulations. Emergency On-call Crossing Guards are compensated to be available to take shifts as needed at a variety of intersections. Shifts range from 40 minutes to 1 and half hours during morning and afternoon school bell times, Monday to Friday.
Crossing Guards work only during the school year, and only on operational school days. No Professional Development days, statutory holidays, school breaks or weekends.
Here are the specific job duties:
- Direct or escort pedestrians across the street, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Communicate traffic, crossing rules, and other information to students and adults.
- Report unsafe student behaviour to school officials.
- Inspect your intersection on a daily basis and report any unsafe conditions.
- Monitor traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross.
- Be aware of emergency vehicles approaching the area ad ensure that they have priority over vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Record license plates of dangerous motorists and report to appropriate officials.
Crossing Guards are the leaders and first line of defence at the crossing locations. It may look like a pretty easy job, but it's not to be taken lightly.
Here's what we need from you:
- Recent clean Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills in English
- Ability to interact and cooperate with people of diverse ages and backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to a work schedule
- Ability to walk briskly, move repeatedly in and out of the intersection, and stand for up to 1.5 hrs
- Ability to hold a 5-lb Stop Paddle above shoulder height for extended periods of time
- 20/20 Vision (with or without corrective lenses) along with adequate depth and peripheral perception
- Ability to dress appropriately for, and perform moderate physical labour under adverse weather conditions
- Must have SmartPhone or SmartDevice with cellular service
Crossing Guards are paid per shift, not per hour. For shifts less than an hour, the rate of pay is $16.75.