- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Human Rights
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Office Manager at PEN Canada
Reporting to the executive director, the office manager is responsible for the smooth running of the PEN Canada office including administration, basic bookkeeping, IT & database management, and other duties as they arise. The right person will be able to handle a wide range of administrative and executive support tasks, will be extremely well-organized, detail-oriented, and flexible, and will enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting a small office of diverse people and programs.
The office manager is the first point of contact for members, donors, board members, and the general public, and is a welcoming and professional face for the organization. The role touches every aspect of the operations of PEN Canada and requires a broad range of interests and skills.
This is a full-time position for $40,000/year.
Responsible for ongoing office administration to a high standard of professionalism
- Front of house duties: answer telephone and email queries, mail, couriers, and maintain office supplies and equipment, including telephones, printer, etc.
- Database management (Sumac): ensure information is up to date and accurate, and provide accurate reports and responses to database queries from board and other staff.
- Office Support: prepare board packages and take minutes at board meetings, prepare documents for fundraising, support work of committees as needed.
- Yearly duties: updating filings with Industry Canada, insurance renewal, property tax rebate etc.
- Events: support event producer/communications officer in programming, logistical, and technical arrangements for events
- Coordinate HR activities: develop interview schedules, applicant pools, and orientation.
- Research and review solutions for new office needs.
2. Basic Bookkeeping
Responsible for management of basic financial matters
- Collect and categorize bills and invoices and all necessary documents for the monthly bookkeeper
- Prepare month-end reports including: donation reports, reconciling donations received online with donation report.
- Manage and reconcile petty cash
- Assist the Treasurer, executive director and project staff with financial reporting.
- Maintain staff handbook and guidelines/policies
- Other financial duties as required including: wire transfers, bank deposits, preparation of documentation for auditor.
3. Member and Donor management
Responsible for creating a smooth member/donor experience and for timely and accurate tracking of member and donor relationships in Sumac database.
- Track donations made through CanadaHelps, PEN Website, and other channels, record in database, generate tax receipts when necessary.
- Prompt response of member queries, prepare thank you letters, renewal reminders, and liaise with members, patrons, and donors to ensure a smooth donation process.
- Use database to keep track of attrition and renewal rates of members, patrons, and donors
- Ongoing production of accurate member and donor lists to update website, and annual production of accurate member and donor lists for annual report
- Assist executive director in donor/sponsor cultivation
4. IT Management & Support
Responsible for IT management for small office of Mac computers and related email and document storage needs
- IT support and website administration, including some website management, email management, maintaining logins/passwords to all online resources, and management of payment processing systems.
- Respond to day-to-day queries and technical requests (for example scanning documents, maintaining printers, setting up new email addresses).
- Ensure all digital assets are backed up and that shared drives/email are accessible.
- Work with executive director to develop and maintain electronic document and record naming and filing protocol for office staff
5. Assist in events and basic communications as needed
- 3-5 years related experience in charity, with knowledge of tax receipting
- Logical, process-oriented, highly organized, with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a donor/member focus
- Good time management with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines, and prioritize with minimal direction
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, WordPress, Google Mail and Drive, non-profit fundraising software (preferably Sumac); working knowledge of QuickBooks an asset
- An interest in literature, free speech, and/or human rights
About PEN Canada
PEN Canada is a nonpartisan organization of writers and readers that celebrates literature, fights censorship, helps free persecuted writers from prison, and assists writers living in exile in Canada. PEN Canada is a registered charity.