- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Downtown Toronto
Status: Full Time, Permanent
The Hanen Centre is a not for profit charitable organization that operates as a social enterprise. Our primary focus is on supporting and training speech-language and early intervention professionals to effectively involve parents in their child’s early language intervention, with the goal of empowering parents to become effective language facilitators for their child. Our reach is international, with training and resources offered to speech-language and early intervention professionals around the world. We also operate as an international association that provides clinical support to the professionals whom we have trained, with over 10,000 members. The Hanen Centre also receives government funding to provide speech and language services locally to families in the city of Toronto.
The Hanen Centre is seeking a Controller to provide financial leadership and oversight to our growing organization. As part of the senior management team, the Controller plays a critical role in providing financial information and recommendations to management and the board of directors in order to support day to day operations, as well as to guide strategic planning and implementation. As a social enterprise, The Hanen Centre relies on the Controller to provide ongoing financial guidance and to optimise our business processes to ensure the organization’s financial stability.
Core responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for all elements of the Finance Department, which includes A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Oversee accounting staff
- Monitor the financial performance of the organization and communicate financial metrics to the board and senior management monthly
- Prepare and monitor annual budgets and monthly forecasts
- Participate in ongoing strategic planning and help develop effective business strategies to ensure future growth and financial stability
- Ensure accounting software is appropriate for the needs of the organization
- Analyze and improve business processes
- Provide costing analysis for new and existing products including workshops
- Prepare working papers and financial statements for the auditors and assist the auditors as requested
- Responsible for designing, implementing and monitoring effective systems, processes and controls to safeguard organizational assets and financial information
- Professional Accounting Designation at C.A., C.M.A., or C.G.A. level
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience at a management level in Accounting
- Ability to work independently as well as within a management team structure
- Ability to improve business processes and maintain high standards and work quality
- Ability to effectively present information to management and board of directors
- Knowledge of and experience in the application of principles and practices employed in effective financial analysis and research, budget development and control techniques and process within a large non-profit or public sector
- Thorough applied knowledge of accounting techniques and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of spreadsheets, database and accounting software packages
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including both oral and written communications skills, with demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
Interested applicants are requested to forward their resume and cover letter application by Dec 9, 2019 to:
The Hanen Centre
Please submit your application, including salary expectations, and any questions about this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The start date for this position is January, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. However, we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Organization Description not provided