Personal Support Worker
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
DATE: September 25, 2023
LOCATION: York, ON – Pine Villa
COMPENSATION: $46,448 - $47,688 Annually Prorated
CONTRACT DURATION: 1 Year
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance use challenges, poverty and homelessness. Serving approximately 13,969 annually and providing 1,788 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. LOFT is also recognized as a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Personal Support Worker.
To attend to the physical, cognitive, mental health and social/recreational needs of vulnerable older adult and senior clients with serious mental illness, cognitive, addiction and responsive behavioral challenges in a way that enhances their dignity and personal empowerment.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Assisting clients with various activities associated with daily living such as: laundry, grooming, personal hygiene, ambulation, toileting, meal preparation, feeding as needed, and shopping.
- Performing light housekeeping: making beds, dusting, sweeping and keeping clients living space clean and orderly.
- Escorting clients to appointments, visiting friends or participating in other social activities within the community, providing social support and facilitating interests in hobbies and recreational activities.
- Identifying changes in appearance/behaviours, reporting physical and mental health concerns, suicide ideation, unusual or exceptional occurrences and behaviours.
- Participation in service planning and development of personal goals for clients.
- Providing support with behaviours arising from cognitive issues, intervening in conflicts between clients, and contacting appropriate emergency services in crisis situations.
- Maintaining all records of service and ensuring supplies and equipment are readily available.
- 2 person transfers with the use of a Hoyer lift, as well as in bed transfers/repositioning.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Completion of a post-secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate);
- Experience with vulnerable older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive, addiction and responsive behavioural challenges who have been longer term hospital patients;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Knowledge of social services and community services for seniors
- Knowledge of and experience in delivering direct services in accordance with psychosocial ‘recovery’ principles
Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management; Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, Hoyer, etc.)
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
Note: All LOFT employees are required to be COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with LOFT’s Vaccination Policy; unless they are employed in or work regularly with staff who are employed in, non-client facing roles.
Note: A satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is also required.
CLOSING DATE: October 6th, 2023.