- Job Type
- Part time
- Job Level
- Junior/Entry level
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Social Justice
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
URGENT - Organizers Needed to Fight Mass Tenant Displacement!
Organize Against Mass Tenant Displacement in Ottawa
Ottawa has a displacement problem. From the mass evictions in Herongate, to the future demoviction of Manor Village for Stage 3 LRT, to renovictions in Vanier, tenants are being priced out of their neighbourhoods to make way for corporate greed.
Housing is increasingly being treated as a commodity instead of the human right that it is. The ACORN Tenant Union is mobilizing our existing membership of low income and working class tenants to demand stronger protections for tenants at risk of eviction due to redevelopment.
Read more about mass displacement, renovictions and demovictions here:
- Ottawa Citizen: ‘Reno-viction’ rage: Tenants demand policies to protect low-income renters in Ottawa
- Manor Village ACORN Tenant Union Fights LRT Demoviction
- Herongate Rally and Demoviction Tour
- CTV News: Resident facing future eviction for LRT expansion calling for rent replacement bylaw if homes can't be saved
- Ottawa Citizen: Resumption of evictions during COVID-19 risks worsening of homelessness, affordable housing crisis
The only way tenants can win REAL social change is when we collectively organize and show strength in numbers.
Landlords are issuing eviction notices for bogus renovations and submitting applications to the City for mass redevelopment every day! There are important votes coming up at City Hall in the next two months that have the potential to drastically impact the lives of all renters in Ottawa. Therefore, it is essential that we organize mass amounts of tenants to make sure our voices are louder than landlords!
This is why we are hiring passionate, hard working people to get tenants engaged in the democratic process to defend our community’s homes from mass displacement!
The ACORN Tenant union is hiring organizers to gather petition signatures through door to door, socially distanced; masked canvassing outdoors. While petitioning, organizers will be generating phone calls to city councillors, the Mayor and landlords and inviting tenants to meetings and actions to keep campaigns moving forward.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- We are hiring immediately. Training is provided.
- There are multiple positions available.
- Multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Eagerness to work with people, strong verbal communication skills and a positive attitude are required
- This is a part-time, hourly position at 30 hours per week, $15/hour
- Ability to work afternoon/evenings between 12-9pm
- This project will continue until early September
- Permanent, full time community organizing opportunities available afterwards.
Review our website acorncanada.org and social media @OttawaACORN before applying.
ACORN (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now) Canada is an independent national organization of low- and moderate-income families. We have over 130,000 members organized into twenty four neighbourhood chapters in nine cities across Canada. We believe that social and economic justice can best be achieved with a national active membership who are invested in their organization and focused on building power for change!