Community Support Worker
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Community Support Worker.
The Community Support Worker is responsible for providing a range of services in support of individuals in the community who are HIV positive with addiction issues, mental health and having experienced homelessness. Health stabilization may also be a key challenge. A key component of the position will be the building of a support network of community resources that empower the individual and increase their independence, dignity and self-respect in a safe, secure environment. The position also provides direct assistance in such areas as daily living, crisis management, and health instruction/stabilization. Case co-ordination will also be a component.
Note: Staff will be required to work in residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke. In addition, a satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Completion of a diploma/degree in Human Services (or equivalent) with three to five years related experience;
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, addictions and mental health issues;
- Transgender and/or other diverse background individual are encouraged to apply
- An understanding of Psychosocial Rehabilitation principles with the ability to operationalise them;
- Counselling and responding skills, ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner;
- Well developed crisis intervention, problem solving and interpersonal skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- An understanding of the therapeutic relationship, and an ability to come to an agreement with clients on goals/priorities;
- Understanding of palliation, of death and dying issues;
- Knowledge of available community resources and supports;
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to interact with workers from a variety of agencies.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources,
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-seeking communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “CSW - MCEWAN” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: February 1, 2021