Community Support Worker - M
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Community Support Worker is responsible for providing a range of services in support of individuals in the community who are HIV positive with addiction issues, mental health and having experienced homelessness. Health stabilization may also be a key challenge. A key component of the position will be the building of a support network of community resources that empower the individual and increase their independence, dignity and self-respect in a safe, secure environment. The position also provides direct assistance in such areas as daily living, crisis management, and health instruction/stabilization. Case co-ordination will also be a component.
Note: Staff will be required to work in residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke.
- Completion of a diploma/degree in Human Services (or equivalent) with three to five years related experience;
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, addictions and mental health issues;
- Transgender and/or other diverse background individual are encouraged to apply
- An understanding of Psychosocial Rehabilitation principles with the ability to operationalise them;
- Counselling and responding skills, ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner;
- Well developed crisis intervention, problem solving and interpersonal skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- An understanding of the therapeutic relationship, and an ability to come to an agreement with clients on goals/priorities;
- Understanding of palliation, of death and dying issues;
- Knowledge of available community resources and supports;
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to interact with workers from a variety of agencies.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources,
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Upon request, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994 to discuss your accommodation requirements.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “CSW - M” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: August 21, 2020