Social Media Coordinator
- Job Type
- Contract / Part Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Social Media Coordinator
Position type: Social Media Coordinator
Employer: Wildlife Conservation Society Canada (WCS Canada)
Term: Temporary 1-year Contract (Part-time)
Salary: $20 - $25 CAD per hour
Deadline for application: Tuesday December 4, 2020
Location: Toronto, ON (Remote-flexible)
WCS Canada is looking for a creative and enthusiastic individual to join our Communications team. Working collaboratively, the Social Media Coordinator will manage web content and social media accounts as a means to strengthen our position, as Canada’s leading on-the-ground conservation science organization.
The successful candidate will use tools and best practices to develop and post meaningful social media content. Key skills include project management, organization, creativity, and a passion for wildlife conservation
Execute strategies spanning social media properties liaise with the Communications Team to co-ordinate promotions and to increase engagement, follower base, and community.
- Work closely with WCS Canada’s Communications and Fundraising teams.
- Manage social media accounts (Instagram, Twitter. Facebook, YouTube) and WCS Canada website.
- Organize, lead, and take minutes for bi-weekly strategic communications meetings.
- Research, write and edit copy for social media and web content under the direction of communications advisor.
- Post daily on all social media platforms, including Instagram stories.
- Suggest and implement new features to grow our following and engagement
- Report and analyze traffic and growth metrics and provide input for improvements to the Communications team.
- Manage a calendar of special events and work with the Communications team to develop campaigns (e.g. International Day for Biological Diversity, Giving Tuesday, etc.).
- Assist with in-person outreach events.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Passion for wildlife conservation and a strong interest in the role of science for achieving positive conservation outcomes.
- A strong belief in the importance of science communication to connect people with nature.
- Demonstrated experience with social media management in a professional capacity.
- Experience analyzing and using data and metrics to measure impact and to determine improvements
- Experience with web design and management.
- Experience making recommendations for paid postings and boosts.
- Ambitious and independent with the ability to operate autonomously, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to remain task and solution-oriented.
- Knowledge and understanding of working within branding/legal policies and guidelines for social media
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues.
- Adaptable with a willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks.
- Organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work independently and with team members in remote locations.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and videoconferencing software (e.g. Zoom and MS Teams)
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, conservation or related field.
- Experience using Sendible for managing and scheduling social media posts.
- Experience with using Canva, Animoto and Anyimage for creating social media content.
- Experience with editing suites (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, GIMP).
- Basic knowledge of HTML.
How to apply:
Please submit your application through the Fitzii link, with all of the following information enclosed:
- Cover letter containing:
- Why you are interested in this position with WCS Canada
- Specific social media experience relevant to this role
- Experience with communications of a science nature
- Related portfolio pieces including recent social media work you have developed or played a large role in developing
- Relevant writing samples
- Specify your availability (start date, number of days/hours per week)
Questions about this position can be sent to Tina Dias at email@example.com
Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted. For questions regarding the application process please contact Tina Dias.
If you do not have access to the internet you may submit your application by fax or mail:
Mail: 344 Bloor Street West, Suite 204, Toronto, ON, M5S 3A7
Deadline for applications: Tuesday December 4, 2020
About WCS Canada:
WCS Canada (www.wcscanada.org) was established as a Canadian conservation organization in July 2004. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to championing accessibility, diversity, and inclusion. Our mission is to conserve wildlife and wild places by improving our understanding of and seeking solutions to critical problems that threaten key species and large wild ecosystems throughout Canada. We implement and support comprehensive field studies that gather information on wildlife needs and then seek to resolve key conservation problems by working with a broad array of stakeholders. We also provide technical assistance and biological expertise to local groups and agencies that lack the resources to tackle conservation concerns. WCS Canada is independently registered and managed, while retaining a strong collaborative working relationship with sister Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) programs in more than 60 countries.