Impact Investment Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Impact Investing
- Company Type
About this position
Start Date: July 2021
Location: Remote (office based in Toronto)
About Tapestry Community Capital
Tapestry Community Capital supports community organizations across Canada raise capital to finance their dream projects. We have raised and currently manage $80 million in investment from 3,000 Canadian investors.
We believe deeply in the principle of community ownership of community assets. Each and every citizen or resident can be a ‘co-owner’ in their local project, by investing in a Community Bond issued by their local community organization. Community bonds are an innovative financing tool issued by a non-profit, charity, or co-operative organization for the purpose of investing in a capital asset.
Tapestry is seeking the right individual to join our core Investment Management team.
What you’ll be doing:
Each and every one of Tapestry’s clients is a mission-driven organization that is tackling a real need in their community. Our team works with them to design and achieve their Impact Investment raise.
Our typical raise is between $2-3 million from 150 community investors.
This role is principally focused on those client teams who are in the process of raising their investments and require the expertise of an Impact Investment Manager to transition the team over to management of their investments and their investors.
In this role, you will manage investments, lead our client issuers through our investor onboarding process. You will develop and maintain metrics, collect and analyze data on our methods and use that data to drive ongoing service design and process improvements. You will guide our team and clients through the raise and management of investments.
Working in tandem with the Investment Coordinator, you will have cross-functional responsibilities, rooted in Investment Management. You will work on being the bridge between live campaigns and investment and financial operations, ensuring that decisions are made collaboratively with a systems-perspective in mind.
We are looking for an even-keeled, confident, and meticulously organized team member who can work cross-functionally across overlapping client issues, provide guidance and leadership to ensure client success.
You will be a great fit for this position if you enjoy both interfacing with a diverse client base and get satisfaction from the complex work of managing operations, process development, and service design. You will thrive in the Tapestry team environment if you are motivated by community participation and positive change, and you can demonstrate excellent collaborative skills paired with sound judgment.
Client and Team Relations
• Act as the bridge between live Campaigns and Investment Management and
• Provide advisory on process and protocols to team when on-boarding new client projects.
• Manage relationships with client issuers and business partners.
• Guide client issuers and community investors through the investment process.
• Supervise and provide complimentary support to client issuer teams in tandem with the Investment Coordinator.
• In tandem with the Investment Coordinator set the level of effort, scope and coordination of new projects.
• Maintain and create procedures around investments operations.
• Create framework for financial reports for reporting, reconciliation, and audits.
• Work with team to process, transfer, and redeem investments.
• Work with team to ensure accurate disbursements and tax filings for clients.
• Support clients on exceptional cases, guiding them through investor relations.
Improvements, Process Design and Development
• Develop and maintain novel methods of monitoring workflow and process.
• Work with the team to review current practices and identify, scope, test, and
implement process improvements.
• Assist in establishing and evaluating protocols and processes for new programs.
• Support knowledge organization and knowledge transfer within Tapestry.
• Strong systems thinking ability: you can see the big picture and understand how inputs and outputs affect each other.
• An appreciation for informed solutions: you are not afraid to ask lots of important questions to uncover nuances in a situation.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education or training/experience.
• 3-5 years’ experience in a collaborative and high performing setting.
• Skilled in developing and tracking metrics, reporting, defining procedures.
• Meticulous organizational skills and high degree of professionalism.
• Strong client management ability: you can triage issues as they arise with tact.
• Resilience and can work through ambiguity to ensure project completion.
• Well-developed soft skills: you are client-oriented but firm and confident in order to set realistic expectations and build trust.
You may also have:
• Business communications experience.
• Knowledge of, or experience with, general accounting principles.
• Knowledge of investments, and/or relevant tax filing requirements.
• Service design and project management experience.
We believe that experience comes in many forms and that skills are transferable across industries. We are looking for someone who shares our values and exhibits an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach. We encourage you to apply if you feel that this opportunity speaks to you.
What we can offer you:
• A flexible, remote-first environment with core hours between 10 am – 3 pm.
• 3 weeks’ holiday plus full health benefits.
• Employer RRSP matching program.
• Opportunities for career growth and professional development.
Deadline: June 25, 2021 at 6pm. Applicants are encouraged to send their application as soon as possible as interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
Tapestry Community Capital enables a diverse range of social enterprises to raise the capital they need to scale their impact. Through the use of a proven social finance tool,
called a Community Bond, we help them to elevate their strong base of
supporters to become proud community investors.
Our clients are non-profits, charities, and co-operatives located in
communities across Canada. They are actively engaged in the spheres of
affordable housing, sustainable food production, community hubs, arts &
culture spaces, co-working centres and renewable energy.
We consult with organizations every step of the way to make their investment
campaigns a success and help bring their dream projects to life.
Starting with workshops, we help them assess the feasibility of their project.
Next we assist in preparing their campaign for launch and actively supporting
their team to reach their investment goal. Finally, we provide the back-office
support to manage their investors reliably and professionally.
Our office is based out of a beautiful co-working space in downtown Toronto.
Our team is currently working virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic.