Student Engagement & Aquatics Guest Experience Agent
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Peterborough, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
***** Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted directly via job boards will not be accepted.*******
Reporting to the Manager, Sport Development, the Student Engagement & Aquatics Guest Experience Agent oversees the day-to-day operations of the student engagement programs (inclusive of campus recreation) and the Aquatics Centre (the Aquatics Centre is coordinated in conjunction with the Sport & Aquatics Centre Guest Experience Agent) to ensure that a high quality experience is delivered to all Trent students. This position provides leadership to a team of part-time student staff and program instructors and the Agent must be flexible and able to work weekday (day and evening) and weekend shifts.
This position administers the Aquatics program operations, involving both the 25m pool and the therapy pool, as well as the delivery of a broad range of aquatics, sport, fitness and wellness programs to meet the needs of Trent University students, staff/faculty, and community members. This position contributes ideas to new program development, and makes recommendations on ways to increase program registrations, and support membership sales and retention by ensuring that appropriate and high quality programming is offered.
- The Agent is committed to delivering diverse sport, health and wellness programs (both in-person and remote delivery channels) that encourage the participation and contribute to positive student life.
- This position works with part-time student staff and works closely with student committees, forums, surveys to ensure the student perspective leads program and service delivery initiatives.
- Manage all aspects the campus recreation intramural and extramural program for students during the academic year.
- Represent Trent Athletics on the Trent University Student Sport Club committee.
- Develop new programs and opportunities to engage Trent Athletics students in sport and wellness opportunities (both in person and remote delivery).
- Develop new student engagement programs around Excalibur varsity games, Orientation week, Reading week and development of special events for students.
- Works extensively with other Trent student service departments, including but not limited to the Office of Student Affairs,, Colleges, , TCSA, FPHL, Careerspace, Trent International, and Student Clubs to design, develop and deliver appropriate programs to meet the ever changing needs of the student body.
Sales & Customer Service
- Contributes ideas to new program development, makes recommendations on ways to increase registrations and supports retention by ensuring that appropriate and high quality programming is offered.
- Responds in a professional and timely manner to inquiries, complaints or suggestions from student or the public, providing effective follow-up as required, adhering to the Athletics Department Customer Service Commitment.
- Leads by example by consistently promoting a positive and professional image and encouraging a welcoming environment and courteous service to every visitor of the Aquatics Centre and student engagement activity.
- Works with the Assistant Director, Customer Engagement and Operations to ensure all aquatics and student engagement/campus recreation staff are trained in customer service and are knowledgeable in all program areas to respond to inquiries effectively.
- Works with the Manager of Sales & Sponsorship to contribute ideas to developing partnership support for student engagement programs and materiaI.
- In the absence of other full-time staff, monitors all areas of the Athletics Centre to ensure that exemplary customer service is delivered; addresses any customer service issues that may arise, and provides direction and support to part-time student staff as needed.
- Has a strong knowledge of the programs and services offered by the Athletics Centre and responds to inquiries from visitors and the general community.
- Works cooperatively with the Sport & Aquatics Centre Guest Experience Agent for all responsibilities related to the Aquatics Centre (program development, service delivery, scheduling, part-time staff supervision, Legend bookings, liaise with community aquatic sport clubs, Leadership courses, etc.).
- Contributes to the development of policies and procedures that support the operation of the aquatics programs with specific emphasis on quality programming and risk management.
- Ensures that all equipment is inspected, monitored and maintained in good working order to ensure compliance with prescribed operating and safety standards.
- Works cooperatively with the Pool Operator and/or Assistant Pool Operator and reports physical problems to Pool Operator and/or Assistant Pool Operator to ensure that pool is operating within legislated guidelines. Performs monthly safety check of pool.
- Supervises and ensures that daily water testing of the pool (when on shift) is conducted to ensure it meets the Public Health Unit standards.
- Effectively administers day-to-day work related to the operations of the pools and campus recreation and student-engagement programming.
- Administers a range of sport and aquatics programs, first aid courses, and aquatics leadership programs for different age groups, abilities and audiences, with a focus on increased participation and revenue generation.
- Develops program schedules for all Aquatics and campus recreation and student engagement program activities.
- Enters all relevant aquatics and student engagement information into the Legend recreation management software in a timely manner to support program registration.
- Schedules all pool activities and private rentals to ensure optimum pool usage, taking into consideration the resources and needs of Trent students and other user groups (community members, swim clubs, rental groups, etc.).
- Enters rental contracts into the Legend software system and assists in developing contracts and agreements with external user groups/partners in the use of the aquatics and facilities for student engagement programs.
- Participates in regular Trent Athletics & Recreation departmental meetings.
- Responsible for hiring and training part-time student staff to support the operation of the aquatics centre and programs, as well as the campus recreation program, including convenors, captains, registration staff, etc.
- Ensures that an appropriate level of staffing is in place for program delivery and to meet safety requirements.
- Administers regular training programs to ensure that all staff certifications are maintained and that staff have the required skills and abilities to meet deliver high quality programs.
- Provides regular in-services training to staff as needed and recertification courses as needed.
- Supervises and develops staff, through ongoing training, supervision, and coaching.
- Develops and maintains work schedule for all part-time staff.
- Completes bi-weekly timesheets for all part-time staff, ensuring that they are coded correctly and submitted to payroll within prescribed timelines.
- Effectively oversees the day-to-day operations of the student engagement programs and the Aquatics centre (including 25m pool and therapeutic pool).
- Monitors program delivery to ensure that high quality and safety of all participants are being addressed.
- Provides support and direction to all part-time student staff in all program areas of the Athletics Centre when Administrative staff are not available on weekends and during evenings.
- Supports facility rentals with external and internal (other university department) users to coordinate set-ups, deal with issues arising from bookings (i.e. double bookings, lack of space, etc.), or responding to user group needs/requests. Ensures that appropriate set-up is in place for user groups.
- Completes facility checks on a regular basis and upon closing to ensure a high level of safety and security.
- Maintains inventory of all first aid supplies for varsity teams, intramurals, aquatics, camp and prepares kits for each team, kit and program, as well as the kits for all the athletic facilities.
- Works with the Assistant Director, Customer Engagement and Operations to implements training manuals and programs. Responsible for safety and accident prevention through knowledge of and enforcement of legislation.
- Ensures that Athletics Centre staff provide first response to emergencies in the Athletics Centre, in the Justin Chiu Stadium, or the grounds outside the Athletics Centre. Works with and provides support to other responders. Follows up on and files incident reports.
- Completes Fire Warden Training and serves in that capacity during emergencies.
- Two years of post-secondary education (college or university) in a related field.
- Two to three years’ experience in the delivery of programs to students or student leadership and/or a sport or aquatics background, including coordination and leadership.
- Demonstrated knowledge base in aquatics, exercise and wellness theory and practice.
- Current National Lifeguard Service Certification is an asset; candidates without a current NLS certification must meet the prerequisites for the course and be willing to complete the required lifeguarding certification as a condition of employment.
- Experience as a Head Life Guard and / or senior administrative experience in an aquatics environment is an asset. Current Aquatics certifications in instruction, including: Red Cross and Lifesaving Instructor and Bronze Cross Examiner is an asset.
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills and strong ability to initiate quality program deliverables.
- Ability to balance the interests of a variety of client groups, adjusting priorities to meet client needs.
- Strong supervisory, interpersonal and training skills and proven track record of demonstrating initiative and growing program offerings.
- Solid organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player within an athletics environment.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C Certification.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience with a recreation management software is an asset.