Director of Marketing and Communications
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Vancouver, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Chemistry Consulting Group has been retained by the BCCDC Foundation for Public Health to assist in the recruitment for a Director of Marketing and Communications to join their organization.
Are you passionate about health equity?
Do you want to make an impact toward ending the overdose crisis?
Are you passionate about supporting communities through the pandemic and as we recover?
The BCCDC Foundation for Public Health (The Foundation) works in partnership with the BC Centre for Disease Control (BC CDC), and other stakeholders to improve public health outcomes. The Foundation is an independent, non-governmental organization and registered charity, working in partnership with, but distinct from, the BC Centre for Disease Control. The Foundation supports and strengthens public health and advances health equity for groups facing inequities and barriers to health due to social, economic, and structural factors.
The Foundation has funded more than 100 projects since inception. For stories on their work, please visit: https://bccdcfoundation.org/whats-new/blog-posts/
The Director of Marketing and Communications provides strategic direction in coordinating and expanding the organization’s reputation, influence, and impact as a public health charity. This is a Permanent/Part-time position (32 hours per week/days are flexible) with the potential to be expanded into a full-time role in the future. The primary focus of this role will be to collaborate and partner with the Executive Director, as well as the Fund Development team, in developing and implementing a long-term marketing and communications strategy to support the achievement of our strategic objectives.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications is member of the Foundation’s Leadership Team, and will play a key role in the organization, providing expertise on marketing and communications for the organization, the Leadership Team, the Fund Development team, and Board/staff.
Overview of the Position:
● Leads the development and growth of the marketing and communications department, including responsibility for direct report(s) and all related performance management needs.
● Supports Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion initiatives at the Foundation and fosters a culture of respect, positivity and trust.
● Provides direction and implementation of internal communications.
● Provides support for board relations and board communications in collaboration with Executive Director and Operations department.
Marketing and Communications
● Develops and executes a long-term marketing and communications strategy, building upon existing strategies and new priorities, providing direction for current brand and channels, and identifying potential future opportunities to engage and grow the Foundation’s profile.
● Grows the audience across all channels and supports the acquisition of new Foundation supporters.
● Develops and monitors the marketing and communications budget in collaboration with the Executive Director and leadership team.
● Works collaboratively with team members to prepare a wide range of communications materials
● Collaborates closely with the Fund Development team on shared projects and campaigns, supporting fundraising goals and strategies and optimizing communications, stakeholder relations, and fund development efforts.
● Attends community events with Executive Director and Director of Development to build profile and reach of the Foundation.
● Supports the Executive Director in the identification and development of strategic priority knowledge translation goals and action plans that align to, and support, the Foundation's strategic plan and priority projects.
● Proactively engages with partners to ensure knowledge translation components of Foundation-supported funding programs are appropriately included and aligned with organizational and funding programs’ intended outcomes/impacts.
● Conducts regular environmental scanning and research activities related to knowledge translation and public health in BC to inform and support the Foundation’s strategic plan and priorities.
Relationship building and partnerships
● In collaboration with the Executive Director, interacts regularly with members of BC and other provinces’ health system and research communities towards supporting evidence-informed practice, policy/decision-making and further research.
● Collaborates and builds relationships with marketing and communications colleagues across the health system and research communities to strengthen content development and communicate knowledge translation activities of the Foundation and our stakeholders.
● Liaises with Operations department to ensure all funded projects and programs are adhered to, and grantees are supported in, funding acknowledgement requirements.
● Minimum of eight to ten years’ experience in marketing and communications.
● Minimum of three years’ experience in a leadership role, managing and engaging staff and direct reports
● Proven experience working in non-profit organizations.
● Proven experience with fund development initiatives is an asset.
● Proven experience and understanding of public health, a health-related field, knowledge translation, and/or public and community engagement is an asset.
● Demonstrated ability to define marketing and strategic communications goals and objectives for multiple target audiences, and to develop and implement strategic communications plans to accomplish goals.
● Experience collaborating with consultants on complex marketing and communication pieces.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to efficiently organize and manage diverse projects while meeting multiple deadlines, along with thorough attention to all details and consistent follow through.
The Foundation offers:
● Ability to work flexible hours
● Hybrid workplace where staff are able to work from home and from the Vancouver office
● Cellphone reimbursement
● Paid sick days and additional wellness days for personal and care responsibilities
● Access to a professional development budget for continued learning and education
● Mentoring and coaching
● A collaborative, supportive team environment
We value a diverse team and embed EDI across the organization. Applications are strongly encouraged from all qualified individuals regardless of disability, culture, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, or religion. The BCCDC Foundation strives to recruit through a lens of equity, diversity, and inclusion, to reflect our work to address inequities, advance social justice, and support all communities.