- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Kamloops, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Union of BC Indian Chiefs (UBCIC) is seeking a permanent, full-time Finance Manager to support the work of our organization and assist in carrying out the mandates as directed by UBCIC’s member Nations. The successful candidate will work with and report to the Administrative Director.
About the UBCIC
The UBCIC is a not-for-profit organization representing and taking direction from over 100 First Nations in BC. Our aim is to protect and advance the political and territorial rights of Indigenous people in BC. We support Indigenous Peoples at regional, national, and international forums. The UBCIC’s mandate is to work towards the implementation, exercise, and recognition of our inherent Title, Rights, and Treaty Rights, and to protect our lands, waters, and resources through the exercise and implementation of our own laws and jurisdiction. The UBCIC strengthens First Nations to assert and implement their Aboriginal Title, Rights, Treaty Rights, and Right of Self-Determination as Peoples. The UBCIC upholds the principles and standards articulated in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples for the establishment and maintenance of a universal framework of minimum standards for the survival, dignity, well-being, and rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Establishing and monitoring accounting functions as required for a not-for-profit agency.
- Supervising and assisting with accounts payable, receivables, and administrative functions.
- Preparing account reconciliations and maintaining accounting records for multiple accounts.
- Preparing monthly financial statements, general journal entries, and year end working papers.
- Preparing payroll and related reporting functions.
- Ensuring proper coding and entry of accounting transactions.
- Ensure timely bank payments.
- Prepare budget forecasts.
- Financial Reporting at in-person meetings.
- Training and mentoring junior staff, while promoting a positive work environment.
- Reporting to and working closely with the UBCIC Administrative Director.
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ experience as a Finance Manager or related field.
- Experience in full cycle accounting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency with SAGE300.
- Format accounting training preferred.
The successful candidate will:
- Be knowledgeable about and support the mandate, mission, and work of UBCIC.
- Be interested in working collaboratively with staff across the organization.
- Be an excellent problem solver.
- Have a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Be a patient and clear communicator.
- Be a leader with the ability to drive projects forward.
- Be organized.
- Be flexible, adaptable, and open to change as the organization and its needs grow.
- Be relationship-driven in approaching work.
- Be willing to travel for work and attend in-person meetings.
What We Offer:
The salary range for this position is $67,500.00-$82,500.00 per annum based on experience and education, with the work hours being 35 hours/week. The UBCIC offers a generous benefits package including but not limited to health, dental, long-term disability, life Insurance, pension-matching plan, 15 days paid sick-leave per calendar year, and 5 paid days of cultural leave per calendar year. We also offer vacation time that includes: 2 weeks paid vacation time per year to start, plus 2 weeks of paid vacation over the winter holidays in December.
In addition, we are able to explore training and professional development opportunities for obtaining necessary job-related skills and career and cultural growth.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to the attention of the Administrative Director. If sending by email, please send to email@example.com. We thank all candidates for their interest and regret that only those candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Union of BC Indian Chiefs hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. However, qualified Indigenous applicants will be given priority.