Director, Community Services
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Ontario, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
YSB is currently seeking a qualified individual to fill the role of Director of Community Services.
YSB was established in 1960 and is one of the largest and most comprehensive not-for-profit organizations serving youth in the community. Since its inception, YSB has developed its four primary pillars of programming: Youth Justice, Community and Housing, Mental Health and Employment Services where each service has discrete functions and requires specific competencies and abilities.
YSB employs just over 325 full and part time professionals in a unionized environment in over 22 locations across Ottawa. YSB delivers services to over 2500 number of youth and families each month. 23% of YSB’s $29.7 million annual budget is attributed to the Community Services Programs.
Position Title: Director of Community Services
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Salary: $91,000 – $109, 366.40
As a member of Senior Management, the Director oversees YSB’s Community Services located throughout the city. The Director provides leadership, develops short and long-term plans, and directs the staff resources and operations of the department, in accordance with the YSB’s mandate, vision and strategic plan. Provides oversight in all Community Services programs including shelters, transitional housing, long-term housing and drop-in across 8 sites and working with approximately 80 staff members.
- Participates in YSB Senior Management decisions concerning the development of YSB’s strategic vision and ensures alignment & implementation of Community Services strategic direction within this vision;
- Provides hands on leadership in the design of housing and support services locally and provincially
- Engages in strategic planning with community partners and government, maintaining strong partnerships through collaboration
- Develops and responds to reporting processes with and for funder.
- Develops funding opportunities internal to YSB and throughout the community
- Maintain and oversee the department’s four apartment buildings, including pro-active maintenance; building and unit repairs; landscaping; and security considerations
- Monitor program efficiencies and outcomes; develop new programs as best practices evolve; ensure programs are evidence-based
- Manage neighbourhood relationships, including individual complaints related to residential services and participating in various Community Association meetings as required
- Manage police interactions, specifically requests for information regarding clients; crisis situation response; or the need for police support in maintaining building safety (e.g. home takeovers)
- Develops, monitors and manages the departmental budget
- Maintains on-going and collaborative working relationships with internal departments; HR, QAQI, Finance, IT and communications
- Ensures compliance with agency polices, collective agreements and relevant legislative requirements
- Builds relationships with the media to ensure positive YSB profile.
- Significant experience (7-10 years) at the senior management level
- Understanding of social housing, including as a landlord and as supportive service provider
- Understanding of social justice, advocacy, equity and anti-oppressive practice
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 environment across multiple sites with stationary and mobile teams
- Experience with crisis and temporary housing provision such as shelters and/or transitional housing units
- Experience with multi-service and multi-partner service provision
- Experience working in a not for profit unionized work environment
- Experience working within a values based organization
- Experience in working within context of broad program changes
- Experience in building and managing stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrated ability in fiscal and human resource management
- Leadership – Ability to set the highest standard and challenge employees to achieve at this level, experienced in change management and system planning
- Communication – ability to communicate strategically to support specific outcomes
- Interpersonal – Strong people skills, ability to manage relationships with external stakeholders and funders
- Critical Strategic Thinking skills – ability to view problems from several angles and consider implications and alternative solutions
- Flexibility - able to adapt behaviors in response to changing circumstances while still pursuing goals
- Self-confidence – demonstrated ability to manage within a changing milieu with multiple and varied responsibilities
- Passion for youth and the mission of YSB
- Integrity and strength of character
- Commitment to employee development, continuous quality improvement and continuous learning
- Ability to lead department, act as coach, mentor and positive role model
- Ability to manage conflict
- Considers, values and respects opinions of key stakeholders including youth/consumers
- Ability to actively participate in setting organizational strategic directions
- Relevant graduate level degree in Social Work, Health administration or a combination of relevant experience and education.
- Oral and written fluency in English is essential. Oral and written fluency in French will be considered an asset.
For more information and to apply please visit YSB Careers
All questions can be directed to: email@example.com