Program Coordinator, Men’s Health
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Richmond Hill, ON
- Impact Area
- Gay & Lesbian
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The AIDS Committee of York Region (ACYR) is a community-based, non-profit organization that provides support, education and promotes access to dignified care for people living with, affected by, and at risk of HIV/AIDS.
The Program Coordinator will support ACYR in the implementation of Ontario’s HIV Prevention, Engagement and Care Cascade in York Region directed to improving the sexual health and wellbeing of two-spirit/gay/ bisexual/ queer cis & trans and men who have sex with men (2GBQM). The incumbent will work to engage and understand the diverse 2GBQM community in York Region in order to support self-directed health and wellness goals including reduction of personal and systemic HIV and Hep C risk. This position will represent ACYR in the provincial Gay Men’s Sexual Health Alliance (GMSH).
The Coordinator will also engage 2GBQM community members in social and recreational opportunities in partnership with ACYR’s Rainbow Space program with the goal of reducing social isolation and building community connections.
The incumbent will work with diverse community-based and health care service providers to advance inclusive and stigma-free service delivery 2SLGBTQ+ community members in York Region with a specific focus on 2GBQM health.
The incumbent for this position must have knowledge of HIV/AIDS, Hep C and other STBBI transmission, harm reduction, a sound understanding of issues impacting 2SLGBTQ+ community wellness, strong community development skills, and be committed to enhancing health outcomes for marginalized and vulnerable communities.
Job duties include:
Community Education and Support
- Conduct targeted outreach and intervention activities with 2GBQM
- Provide sexual health information, education, and resources to targeted populations in a sexpositive manner through in-person or online outreach (For e.g. hookup apps such as Squirt/Grindr
- Provide referrals to relevant community resources as needed
- Collaborate with York Region public health to enhance access to community-based clinical services such as testing, vaccination, and treatment for 2GBQM community members
- Support the implementation of provincial GMSH campaigns and interventions
- Identify the health and wellness needs of 2SLGBTQ+ community members in York Region
- Build capacity of ACYR as well as partner agencies in the area of health promotion for 2SLGBTQ+ communities including provision of safe and inclusive environments to address concerns related
to sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
- Develop and deliver trainings and presentations using sex positive and harm reduction approaches to targeted communities as well as health and social service providers with the aim of enhancing access to inclusive health and wellness services and promoting 2SLGBTQ+
- Support the development and implementation of a Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) education, access, and adherence strategy for York Region
- Build strategic partnerships with local community organizations, key stakeholder groups and community alliances in York Region
- Represent the agency at local and provincial networks
- Present information to community partners on issues as they relate to 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
Peer Programs & Engagement
- Recruit and engage 2GB QM living with, at-risk of or impacted by HIV/AIDS in ACYR’s Peer Advisory Committees (PACs) to inform and support men’s health program goals and activities
- Coordinate and implement health and wellness based activities for HIV positive 2GBQM with guidance from the Program Manager, HIV Support and PAC members.
Resource Development, Promotion & Distribution
- Maintain inventory of program resource materials in partnership with agency staff
- Share relevant resources related to 2SLGBTQ+ community health and wellness at community events
- Develop/identify and share social media content to promote program activities
Develop and update trainings and other education tools as required
- Program Administration and Evaluation
- Compile, record and maintain up-to-date records and monthly statistical information relating to program activities in the OCHART database
- Maintain accurate and organized program participation; ensure files are stored securely and safely to maintain service user privacy and confidentiality.
- Partner with Executive Director as needed to develop, revise and implement appropriate evaluation frameworks for program activities
- Inform program participants about their rights and agency policies and procedures; ensure an complaints and incident reports are duly processed
- Prepare formal and informal reports related to program delivery
- Support Executive Director with OCHART and other funder reporting
- Identify volunteer and student placement needs to support program and service delivery goals
- Adhere to ACYR’s policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Qualifications & Skills
- Post-secondary education in Education, Health Promotion, Health Sciences, Social Work, or Human Services
- Lived experience as 2GBQM and/or a person living with HIV is an asset
- 2-3 years of experience working in health promotion and/community development with a preference for experience in a harm reduction based setting
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, sexual health promotion, and/or 2SLGBTQ+ groups with a clear understanding of safer sex practices, harm reduction principles, and community resources
- Knowledge of 2GBQM social-sexual practices, cultures and networks
- Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse and marginalized populations, particularly around issues of sexual orientation/gender diversity, race, HIV/AIDS, homelessness, addictions, and mental health
- Ability to maintain a non-judgmental and non-stigmatizing approach
- Ability to work from a trauma-informed, anti-discrimination/ anti-oppressive lens
- Understanding of HIV/AIDS, Hep C, drugs and substance use, intersectionality, and social determinants of health
- Experience with program needs assessment, coordination, delivery and evaluation
- Suicide intervention (ASIST) is required with non-violent crisis intervention (NVCI) and first aid/CPR considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain partnerships and relationships
- Ability to function calmly and effectively in difficult and/or crisis situations
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills
- Self-awareness and established ability to maintain confidentiality and healthy boundaries
- Respect for agency policies and protocols
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work outside regular working hours (evening and weekends)
- Valid Ontario driver’s license, insurance and reliable vehicle is a must
- A current, satisfactory/ acceptable Vulnerable Sector Screening
Please submit cover letter and resume highlighting qualifications and experience.
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Program Coordinator, Men’s Health
- Mail to: Hiring Committee, AIDS Committee of York Region, 10909 Yonge Street, Unit #203,
Richmond Hill ON, L4C 3E3
The AIDS Committee of York Region promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applicants with lived experience of substance use, HIV/AIDS, and/or Hep C. We also encourage people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities and expression.
We thank all applicants. However, only those who are to be interviewed will be contacted.
Organization Description not provided