Manager, Marketing and Communications
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Ontario, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Humane Canada™ is an organization that works towards the respect and humane treatment of all animals within Canada. As a team member you will work with a Management Team that advances the welfare of animals on a national stage and will be involved in promoting the interests of animals to government, policy makers, industry and the public at large. The Manager of Marketing and Communications will take our vision of a humane country and activate the interest and support of Canadians. Through the development and implementation of strategies, this role will shift public attitudes, change thinking on the issue of animals welfare, increase brand awareness and build significant support by delivering impactful campaigns across significant program lines and key channels.
The role offers opportunity for an individual interested in a dynamic growth environment to lead our brand development all while maintaining focus on the mission of the organization, which is to advance the welfare of animals in Canada by ending animal cruelty, improving animal protection and promoting the humane treatment of all animals.
- Establish Humane Canada as a concept and activate the interest and support of Canadians.
- Develop, execute and evaluate marketing strategy that delivers programs and services while growing and engaging community.
- Ensure the Humane Canada brand is consistent, aligned to our strategic plan and that we speak in one voice in all communications.
- Lead the Humane Canada brand development including implementation, dissemination, exposure and consistency.
- Manage the day-to-day execution of the marketing strategy and plans for Humane Canada ensuring projects reach their goals on time and within budget.
- Identifies ideal targets to successfully articulate campaign strategies to engage people in our fundraising, events and programs.
- Maintain marketing calendar for all campaigns and provide marketing updates on a monthly or as needed basis.
- Lead the development of collateral for all products, including writing copy; work with designers on schedules, timelines, and art direction, and coordinate production with designers.
- Manages distribution lists.
- Designs and creates media for print and digital distribution, including - but not limited to - ads, brochures, posters, surveys, web banner ads, meeting programs, and email blasts.
- Integrates marketing into all content and platforms of Humane Canada.
- Manage all content and curate all communications in the digital environment.
- Maximize digital platforms to engage and activate supporters.
- Develops and Implements strategies to convert followers into donors.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of website content management tools and trends and makes updates to websites as needed.
- Focuses on list growth tactics (e.g. email list, social media followers). Experiments to see what works best and leads to higher conversions from website visitors to email subscribers; to donors and monitors metrics closely. Also includes search engine optimization and paid search strategies.
- Understands the community through constant listening and feedback loops, including regular surveying and active social media use. Manages segmentation/targeting strategy, so we are sending “right content to the right people.”
- Build Humane Canada’s reputation as the National Voice for Animal Welfare through the media including cultivating relationships with reporters, pitching stories, and proactively identifying opportunities and new media platforms to tell the Humane Canada story.
- Ensure all external communication contain a consistent brand image.
- Promote and support special events targeted to specific audiences such as the National Animal Welfare Conference and the Canadian Violence Link Conference.
- Liaises with the media and maintains a current database of media contacts.
- Monitor the media daily and employs rapid response when necessary.
- Write blogs, op-eds, press releases and feature articles.
- Develop and maintain media contacts and maintains a database of media impressions.
- Coordinate press conferences and other media events including on line events.
- Contribute to the overall management of Humane Canada™, as a member of the Management team, by engaging in strategic planning and analysis, policy development, organizational reviews, budget preparation and control and operational decision-making.
- Keep Board, staff and members informed on new program developments through regular reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Work cooperatively with all members of the Management Team to ensure policy directions and key messages associated with same are integrated and presented effectively to funders and the general public.
- Represent Humane Canada™ to other organizations, stakeholders, community at large and the media as required.
- Education/Experience – degree in marketing, communications or a related field or equivalency and 4 – 6 years’ work experience in a management position.
- Demonstrated track record as an innovative and creative marketer articulating concepts and building brand recognition and support.
- Significant experience developing and managing integrated marketing strategies with internal and external audiences.
- Successful digital marketing and communications campaigns with a relentless commitment to data collection and data informed decision making.
- Knowledge of the Canadian media and an understanding of the principles of journalism.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with the ability to write compelling copy for different audiences or types of media.
- Demonstrated sound judgment, ability to set priorities, plan and delegate work.
- Ability to produce results while working in a high pressure environment with tight deadlines in a small remote team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact but with a passion for animal welfare and marketing a message to create a more humane world.
- Bilingualism (English/French) an asset
- Advanced skills in MS Office Suite, Word Press, Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Social media networks: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, social media management tools including Hootsuite, etc. and Mass email and e-newsletter communications using Mail Chimp and New Mode
- Experience in program and project management, as well as working with remote teams.
- High degree of professionalism with the ability to prioritize to meet required deadlines.
Remote nature of position:
- Role is fully remote and successful candidate would be required to perform responsibilities reliably and effectively through technology.
- Working hours are flexible but availability will be required on occasion between 9am and 5pm EST (Eastern Time Zone).
- Ability to travel for role within Canada from time to time.
More about Humane Canada™
Founded in 1957, Humane Canada™ represents SPCAs and Humane Societies from coast to coast to coast as well as an increasing number of municipalities, animal welfare groups and rescue organizations that make up the sector. We have a simple vision – a humane Canada. This vision was so important to us that in 2018 we publicly changed our name to Humane Canada. To achieve that vision we drive positive, progressive change to end animal cruelty, improve animal protection and promote the humane treatment of all animals.
As the convener of the largest animal welfare community in Canada, we advance the welfare of animals, with a strong national voice promoting the interests and concerns of animal welfare to government, policy makers, industry, and the public. We believe that each animal possesses intrinsic value, remarkable complexity, and inherent dignity, and as such is deserving of respect and moral concern. We elevate animal welfare through our values of collaboration and evidence-based thought leadership while building integrated, strategic professional teams that utilize systems thinking to create an effective and lasting change.
Should you be interested in learning more about this impactful opportunity with Humane Canada™, please apply today with your resume and a letter of introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 30, 2020.
Humane Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.