- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- New Westminster, BC
- Impact Area
- Community & Social Services
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Location: New Westminster
Positions: 3 FT Permanent, and 1 FT 3-Month Term
Compensation: $26.75 per hour, excellent benefits included after successfully complete probationary period
Start Date: ASAP
posAbilities assists individuals with developmental disabilities to lead meaningful and healthy lives. We accomplish this by partnering with local communities to provide a comprehensive range of person-served services for individuals and the families who care for them.
Our employees experience joy, meaning and beauty at work. They have more opportunities to be creative and autonomous, living life doing what they love.
We are searching for Employment Specialists in our New Westminster office who will advocate our persons served to employers. The Employment Specialist must have a flexible schedule and have demonstrated the ability to maintain relationships through community marketing. Get to know the satisfaction of changing someone’s life!
YOUR Typical Day:
- You will be most active on the phone or on the road developing relationships with potential employers.
- You can provide the facts on the benefits of hiring our persons served and how their skills and abilities meet the employer’s needs.
- You are meeting with our persons served to assess their ability, evaluating their vocational skills and potentially recommending them to community resources and support services.
- You’ll counsel and support persons served for employment preparation, training, placement (including job development), and orientation.
- You could be up early or be up late supporting our persons served in their new role.
- You have a diploma in Career Development, Supported Employment, or Vocational Rehabilitation. Or you have an applicable undergraduate degree in Social Services or Adult Education.
- You have a minimum three to five years experience working with people with developmental and/or physical disabilities.
- You have experience with job placements, specifically working with persons with disabilities or other employment barriers.
- You are up-to-date on the local labour market trends and employment opportunities in the Lower Mainland.
- You know your way around the local community, having knowledge of the resources and services available.
- You are a great organizer; deadlines are up-to-date on your calendar or meals are prepped for the week.
- You can be the creative spark or productive dynamo in a team; having an emphasis on leadership, self-initiative, patience, maturity and tact.
- You are a confident writer, speaker and are rarely intimidated in any conversation. You are able to apply these communication skills to liaise with families and professionals.
- You may not be a tech guru, but you know your way around Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
You MUST have the following:
- Current Community Care 1st Aid and CPR level B or C
- Current negative TB Test dated within last 12 months
- Mandt System training, Current TB test
- A clear Criminal Record Check for Children and Vulnerable Adults
- A valid BC driver’s license, clean driving record, reliable vehicle with business insurance
Please apply with your resume via our website at www.posAbilities.ca/careers or via email to careers@posAbilities.ca. Please indicate the position number you are interested in. Please note, while we would like to connect with everyone interested in this position, only applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Organization Description not provided