Marketing and Communications Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- York, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Sistema Toronto provides musical and intellectual opportunities to children in underserved communities, with the goal of transformative social change. We build stronger communities by enabling children to grow and thrive as engaged citizens and future leaders.
Sistema Toronto is first and foremost a social development program, using ensemble-based music education to transform the lives of children. Sistema Toronto students work together for 10 hours of weekly instruction. They learn strings (violin, viola, cello, or double bass), percussion, choir and Music & Movement while developing important life skills like problem solving, empathy, and self-advocacy.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing and Communications Manager has primary responsibilities in Leadership, Marketing and Communications, PR, Donor Stewardship, Donor Communications, Administration, and Fundraising Events.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, Centre Directors, Managing Director, Director of Development, and Teaching Artists to plan and execute a strong and compelling communications and content strategy which showcases Sistema Toronto as one of Canada’s most progressive and impactful music charities. The key objectives of this role are to increase awareness of Sistema Toronto’s work and advocate on behalf of the communities we work in, increase the online traffic to our website and social media sites, and increase stakeholder engagement and donations.
Sistema Toronto works in a highly collaborative community-building environment; excellent interpersonal and leadership skills are required for this position. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in written corporate communication, PR, and social media content creation. A passion for Sistema Toronto’s mission is essential. A candidate with a background in music or the arts, education, or community development would be ideal, although we are open to hearing from those with different experiences that feel they have the skills to succeed in the role.
Sistema Toronto serves children and families from all races, ethnicities, backgrounds, and walks of life. We are committed to fostering an inclusive working environment where diversity is celebrated and respected at all levels within the organization, and we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. We encourage applications from racialized persons / People of Colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
Qualified candidates who require accommodation at any time throughout the application process should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-545-0200 so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you have experience of producing creative, insightful content and marketing campaigns, have outstanding communication skills and a supportive team spirit, we would love to hear from you.
- Demonstrate strong leadership abilities, and communicates with other Sistema Toronto employees, donors, Board Members, volunteers, parents and students with empathy, understanding and diplomacy.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Participate with The Board and the Executive Director in developing a marketing and communications strategy that supports the vision and strategic plan to guide of the organization.
- Support fundraising activities including the individual, government, foundation, and other institutional sectors.
- Ensure that data, most particularly personnel, participant and donor data, is secured and well protected and that ST systems are not vulnerable.
- Provide support to the Board by working with the ED, Secretary, and Treasurer in preparing meeting agendas and supporting materials.
- Support the work of the program, curriculum development and Parent Committees in each of the schools.
Marketing and Communications
- Create marketing materials and collateral in-house or coordinate design and/or production as needed.
- Work with web development team on website redesign, content writing, maintenance and updates, etc.
- Develop and implement social media strategy; write and post content.
- Write press releases and PR materials related to Sistema concerts and events, fundraising initiatives, earned media campaigns, etc.
- Copywriting of email marketing and direct mail campaigns, including quarterly newsletter.
- Coordinate photo shoots, videography and special projects.
- Update the Sistema Toronto Branding and Style Guide.
Development and Fundraising
- Cultivate and manage relationships with established and new corporate and community donors and sponsors.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development and Executive Director, develop and maintain excellent donor stewardship.
- Manage annual Spirit Gala fundraising event.
- Coordinate third-party event and grassroots fundraising campaigns.
- Develop materials that support all fundraising initiatives.
- Support curriculum development projects.
- Work with Executive Director on managing the Marketing and Communications Budget.
- Work with Executive Director and Centre Director team where required on hiring, onboarding, teacher professional development, and teacher evaluation.
- Attend and participate in monthly Board of Directors meetings.
- Support ongoing administration.
- Regularly meet with team-members at the Sistema Toronto office or mutually-accessible location.
- Attend classes, workshops and events as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience of creating and managing content across social media platforms, including producing written, graphic, and video content to a high quality. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years’ experience in this area.
- A flair for storytelling and understanding what content appeals to different audiences.
- Experience in writing press releases and coordinating with media.
- Experience in website management and email marketing.
- Experience in event planning and fundraising campaigns.
- Comfortable juggling many projects at once while working to targets and delivering to tight deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable in working with stakeholders of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- An understanding of and commitment to the values of equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion, and empowerment.
- Full G Class Driver’s License would be considered an asset but is not required. The successful candidate will have to travel around Toronto.
- Experience in the non-profit sector would be considered desirable.
We appreciate that the best person might not have all the listed criteria yet, so if you feel your experience and skills will help you to make a great contribution in this role and you have the right mind-set to develop and learn, we welcome an application from you.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, a brief cover letter and a sample of your marketing/communications work to email@example.com. Links to your work on corporate social media are strongly encouraged.
Because this position will include proximity to children, successful candidates will be asked to provide a current Vulnerable Sector Screening.