- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
COSTI REQUIRES A CLINICAL COUNSELLOR FOR ITS EXPRESSIVE ART THERAPY PROJECT FOR MUSLIM WOMEN EXPOSED TO ISLAMOPHOBIA
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
COSTI is facilitating a project to empower racialized Muslim women exposed to Islamophobia through participation in trauma-informed Expressive Art Therapy Groups. This position provides short term mental health interventions and clinical counselling to women within the Greater Toronto Area.
This is a Union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week (current funding goes to March 31, 2024 with the possibility of an extension)
- Provides initial settlement services to Government Assisted Refugees (GARs) and/or jointly Coordinates the logistics of an art-based trauma project for Muslim women coping with Islamophobia.
- Identifies and builds partnerships with local Muslim artists and Muslim serving organizations.
- Co-facilitates art therapy sessions with artists.
- Conducts psychosocial mental health assessments.
- Provides short term counselling to women who have experienced Islamophobia.
- Provides Trauma Informed Cognitive Behavioral Treatment.
- Develops and implements a short-term treatment plan.
- Provides resources to enhance safety.
- Makes referrals to appropriate health/mental health and social service agencies.
- Liaises with other organizations and service providers.
- Enters statistical client data in COSTI’s client database and prepares quarterly reports.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor of Social Work or equivalent with one (1) year clinical counselling experience.
- Must have previous experience working with Muslim women and facilitating groups for Muslim women who have experienced Islamophobia.
- Understanding and knowledge of systemic and overt Islamophobia.
- Priority consideration will go to those who speak any of the following languages: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Hausa, Pushto, Somali, Urdu.
- Must have previous experience working with Muslim women who have experienced overt Islamophobia.
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural humility and sound culturally competent clinical skills.
- Knowledge of Anti-Oppression, Anti-Racism and Islamophobia.
- Demonstrated experience delivering virtual services using Zoom, Teams and other social media applications.
- Knowledge of trauma theory and recovery.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the social problems facing refugees and immigrants.
- Knowledge and experience of art therapy will be an asset.
- Priority consideration will go to those who speak any of the following languages: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Hausa, Pushto, Somali, Urdu
- Must be able to work evenings.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.
LOCATION: 1700 Wilson Ave., Toronto
DURATION: September 30, 2021 to March 31, 2024
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $58, 911 to $63,402 per annum + Benefits
POSTING DATE: September 16, 2021
CLOSING DATE: September 29, 2021
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, by sending the updated resume to Haris.email@example.com