Digital Marketing & Communications Assistant
- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Employment Training and Development
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Mental health conditions or addictions can get in the way of stable employment for many. At Rise, we break down barriers and change futures through our innovative small business services. Rise is the only national charity providing people a path toward sustained self-employment or small business ownership. We personalize our services to support each client with a combination of training, resources, mentorship, and low interest microloans. As a result, our clients improve their financial stability and make positive life changes to benefit their families and communities alike.
Rise was established in 2010 as a joint initiative of the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). In ten years of operation, Rise has trained and coached over 1,000 clients, disbursed more than $1.9 million dollars in 450+ small loans, and paired over 250 volunteer business mentors.
Rise became a national organization in 2018 and we continue to grow rapidly. We are a small but mighty team, looking to recruit a dynamic individual for this important role. If you want to be part of a meaningful cause and work for a unique organization, with lots of room for personal and professional growth, join us!
Rise is looking for a creative self-starter with digital savvy who is passionate about marketing, social media, storytelling and building a community of support through effective communications. Reporting to the Manager, Advancement & Communications, the Digital Marketing & Communications Assistant is responsible for supporting the marketing and communications activities of Rise. This position will align the work of the Rise Lending, Training, Volunteer and Philanthropy teams to support the delivery of Rise’s Communications, Client and Donor engagement plans.
This position will work remotely until social-distancing measures have been lifted, then work at the Rise head office, in the Rotman School of Management on the University of Toronto campus. Hours are 9 – 5 with some adjustment for summer hours, remote working and occasional evening events.
- Lead the development and execution of a digital strategy for website content, SEO, social media, paid advertising and fundraising platforms, working closely with Rise programs teams
- Research, source, coordinate, schedule, and post content for all social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube)
- Design and create social assets
- Monitor feedback from audiences (flag potential issues, share positive feedback)
- Conduct and track influencer relations
- Monitor other organizations’ social media (clients, sector organizations, corporate partners)
- Track and report social media metrics
- Work with the Systems Administrator to regularly undertake website updates, create new assets and upload new content
- Contribute to improvements and processes related to traffic, conversions, and content
- Working closely with the Loan Administrator, identify and approach clients on an ongoing basis who have excellent stories, in order to build Rise’s “story bank” for digital and print communications
- Coordinate editorial calendar and publish content
- Write engaging and impactful content for newsletters, spotlights, blogs, and press releases for distribution to key stakeholders
- Project manage digital and print communication materials
- Coordinate archive of communications materials, including photography, stories, printed materials etc.
- Set up and format emails in MailChimp, Salesforce and eTapestry
- University degree or certificate program (or equivalent) in Marketing, Communications, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in marketing, communications, social media or fundraising, ideally in a non-profit environment
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Tag Manager and/or other relevant tools
- Experience managing SEO and SEM campaign execution
- Demonstrated skill in the use of graphic design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Strong writer with the ability to inspire target audiences
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing and communication strategies
- Demonstrated project coordination skills, with ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- A background working with people who face barriers to employment and financial stability and/or individuals who have experienced mental health or addiction is an asset
- Major bonus if you have Salesforce, eTapestry, fundraising experience or are bilingual
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team (remotely and in person) efficiently and independently
- Self-directed and proactive with a dedication to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (oral and written)
Launched in 2009, Rise is the only national charity dedicated to helping people who have experienced barriers to meaningful employment due to mental health and addiction challenges. Rise provides training, resources and low-interest microloans so clients can pursue self-employment.