Administrative and Accounting Assistant
- Job Type
- Contract / Part Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Position Type: Part-time 1-year contract (very good possibility of renewal)
Number of Positions: 1
Reporting to: Controller, Finance Department
Years of Experience: 2+
Start Date: Immediately
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Assists Controller with implementation and roll out of new accounting software system/ process.
- Assumes responsibility of being the subject matter expert for the accounting system.
- Participates and provides expertise in the review and continuous improvement of new financial processes and controls.
- As necessary, identifies opportunities for improvement and automation of financial processes and controls.
- Receives and prepares all invoices for payment, ensuring that that Procurement Policy is always adhered to.
- Reviews invoices for appropriate authorization, verifies that supporting documentation is provided and follows up with the supervisor and/or vendor regarding any discrepancies.
- Ensures that all invoices are correctly allocated to the appropriate program.
- Posts supplier invoices into Sage following established procedures.
- Ensures that vendors are paid in a timely fashion, conferring with Controller regarding cash flow.
- Responds to vendor inquiries regarding status of invoice payment.
- Reviews and reconciles monthly supplier statements to posted records. Contacts vendors to request outstanding invoices or to resolve discrepancies.
- Reconciles Sage aged payables report to the general ledger. Resolves difference if out of balance.
- Ensures that all invoices are posted to the correct accounting period.
- Verifies accuracy of HST amounts and allocates to correct accounts for future remittance / reimbursement. Tracks self-assessment where necessary.
- Monitors and reconciles cash advances.
- Ensures that staff follow correct procedures for ordering supplies; places Finance supply orders, ensuring that expenditures are within budget.
- Provides documentation and answers questions as requested during the annual audit process by the external auditors.
- Maintains complete and accurate files, accessible to other Finance Team staff for reference.
- Provides office support and vacation relief, as necessary, for the Finance Team.
- Performs other general accounting duties as required.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
- Diploma or degree in accounting or related.
- One year accounting experience, including account reconciliation and tracking and monitoring of expenses.
- Experience in Accounting system implementation is required.
- Excellent technical/ computer skills and understanding of accounting processes.
- Ability to use online communication platforms, techniques, and tools (e.g. Zoom and MS Teams)
- Proven knowledge of Sage accounting software, Windows, Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in the development, design and use of advanced Excel spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of Canadian GAAP, GST & Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and Income Tax Act legislation.
- Proven knowledge of Employment Standards Act (ESA), and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Equipped to work remotely as needed, with adequate internet capabilities.
- Excellent detail orientation, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Fluency in both written and verbal English.
- Bilingual (English/ French) is considered a strong asset.
- Flexible team player – Willingness to take initiative to lend assistance where needed to ensure that the team is successful in meeting department goals
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal communication skills when dealing with Funders, partners, staff, and other interested parties.
How to Apply: Please visit our website at https://careerfoundation.com/join-our-team and select the position you’d like to apply for from our list of vacancies. You can complete the application form directly through our website. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please. Thank you for your interest in The Career Foundation.