Senior Manager, Fellowships
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- International Relief/Development/Peace
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Role: Senior Manager, Fellowships
Location: Toronto, Canada (Engineers Without Borders National Office)
Application Deadline: August 30, 2018
Start Date: ASAP (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB) brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We do this by developing systems change leaders, investing in early-stage social enterprises in sub-Saharan Africa, and advocating for change.
EWB’s work is founded on our values of asking tough questions, addressing root causes, investing in people, striving for humility, dreaming big and working hard, and courageously committing.
EWB currently offers three Fellowship programs: a Long-Term Fellowship that places Canadian professionals with organizations in Africa for a minimum of one year; a Junior Fellowship that connects Canadian university students with our partner organizations for 3.5 months; and the Kumvana Fellowship, which brings African social entrepreneurs to Canada for a 5-week professional development experience. The Fellowships programs are an integral component of EWB’s investments in social ventures in sub-Saharan Africa.Reporting to the CEO, your role will be to provide strategic leadership to EWB’s Fellowship programs. You will develop and implement program strategy, ensuring EWB’s Fellowships are aligned with and contributing to our mission and Theory of Change, while working with other EWB teams to articulate and promote EWB’s leadership model and offering. As manager of the Fellowships Team, you will ensure the effectiveness of the distributed team.
- Manage EWB’s Fellowship programs: Provide strategic leadership to EWB Fellowships, represent the Fellowship programs to internal and external stakeholders, assess and manage risks, manage Fellowships budgets, build on Fellow support systems and structures, ensure programs are delivered on schedule and on budget while meeting and exceeding quality indicators.
- Promote growth of EWB Fellowship programming: Oversee new partner development, identify programming gaps and provide ways forward, explore and act on growth and development opportunities.
- Manage the Fellowships Team: Manage 5+ staff members located in Toronto and across Africa, develop and continuously improve team processes, hire and manage external contractors.
- Develop and champion Health, Safety and Wellness policies and systems: Remain on-call in the case of emergencies and lead on crisis management, maintain and develop Fellow policies and procedures, track and report on Fellow well-being, manage relationships with health and safety providers, collaborate with other Canadian volunteer-sending organizations.
- Contribute to Fellow support and Leadership growth: Support staff in delivering leadership development programming in Africa and Canada, including attending regional retreats and pre-departure training.
- Monitoring & evaluation: Ensure compliance with Global Affairs Canada funding programs, contribute to donor reports, support development and tracking of Fellowship metrics.
- Minimum 3-4 years management experience
- Minimum 3-4 years experience managing and growing programmes
- Experience working with a distributed team
- Experience in risk management and Health and Safety
- Passion for Leadership Development and Social Enterprise
- Ability to travel to sub-Saharan Africa several times a year
- Ability to work in Canada
- Ability to be on-call, and respond to emergency situations as they arise
- French proficiency an asset
- Experience working with government or grant funding an asset
Salary will be comparable to similar mid-career roles within the nonprofit sector. All employees are provided with a comprehensive health/dental benefit package and 3 weeks of vacation each year, as well as other benefits.
EWB embraces diverse cultures, heritages, experiences and opinions in efforts to enrich the Fellowship program and foster inclusive decision making. EWB is committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free employment free from discrimination, and to hiring diverse candidates.
Engineers Without Borders unlocks human potential in sub-Saharan Africa by investing in forward-thinking social enterprises. We support local innovators to accelerate their impact and apply their innovations on a global scale, to the benefit of millions. In Canada, we unlock human potential by fostering a community of leaders—supporting a network of established thought leaders while developing the next generation of pioneers.