Housing Support Worker - Pelham
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
LOFT Community Services is committed to reflecting and responding to the diversity of the service users and communities we serve. Applications are encouraged which reflect diversity in culture, race, sexual orientation, gender identity and experience that reflects the clients that we serve.
HOUSING SUPPORT WORKER - PELHAM
1 Full Time Contract Position (14 months)
As a Supported Housing - Housing Support Worker, you will be part of a team that assesses, identifies and facilitates support networks and linkages for isolated, at risk individuals living in designated Toronto Community Housing (TCH) buildings. You will support the implementation of outreach and community development activities for at risk tenants living with mental health and addiction challenges and provide practical support to the identified individuals and TCH staff, to maintain successful tenancies. This includes assisting residents in their daily living activities, (such as: personal hygiene, medication management, escort to appointments cooking assistance learning and relearning basic skills and banking), helping them to sustain their support network (e.g. family and medical) and maintaining the established routines of the program. The Housing Support Worker carries out support plans with residents, and provides crisis intervention as needed in order to ensure a safe living situation.
Staff will be required to work in residents’ rooms/apartment units and may therefore be exposed to secondhand smoke. Staff also may be required to work in various TCH buildings. There may be evening and weekend hours.
- A Personal Support Worker diploma/certificate from a recognized institution and/or Social Services , or other related field, or equivalent experience an asset
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Standards;
- Experience with vulnerable adults and/or seniors with unique special needs including mental illness, addictions, complex physical health challenges and severe social isolation.
- Knowledge and understanding of addictions, mental health, complex psychosocial issues and the aging process.
- An understanding of harm reduction, recovery and psychosocial rehabilitation principles, the therapeutic relationship, and an ability to come to an agreement with clients on goals/priorities;
- Crisis intervention skills, with well developed problem solving abilities and interpersonal skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills and computer literacy, including MS Word and Excel;
- Creativity and flexibility to approaches;
- Knowledge of community resources and supports;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and interact with workers from a variety of agencies;
- Understanding of cultural competency and framework;
- Must have a valid driver’s license to transport clients in LOFT-owned vehicle;
- Must own or have access to vehicle in good working condition and be willing to travel provide service in satellite locations;
- Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
TO APPLY: Send resume and covering letter to: Human Resources Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE PUT THE FULL JOB TITLE “HSW-PELHAM” IN THE SUBJECT BAR OF ANY EMAILS AND ON YOUR COVER LETTER.
CLOSING DATE: October 27, 2019
Organization Description not provided