Digital Engagement Officer (Georgian speaker)
- Job Type
- Part time
- Job Level
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The SecDev Foundation is looking for a highly motivated Digital Engagement Officer who is fluent in written and spoken Georgian, to join our CyberSTAR Digital Safety program.
Staying safe online isn’t easy in the best of circumstances. That task is especially difficult for civil society organisations operating in Central Eurasia. CyberSTAR helps these organisations through digital safety training to operate safely and securely in cyberspace.
As Digital Engagement Officer (Georgian) you will work closely with the rest of the CyberSTAR team to deliver critical digital safety information, resources and assistance to the individuals and organizations that need them. If selected, you will join our international CyberSTAR Team, which has helped civil society groups learn how to protect themselves online for the past four years.
The SecDev Foundation is looking for a highly motivated, creative and committed individual. The ideal candidate will have a sense of mission and strong desire to make a difference in the digital well-being and safety of digital citizens globally. You are an excellent online communicator, have excellent judgement, pay close attention to detail, and know how to convey important information in clear and engaging ways. You are keen to learn new tools and tactics and are self-motivated to search out and discover new ways to improve the impact of the work that you do.
Interested? What we're looking for:
- a solid understanding of digital safety procedures and tools, especially for smaller, vulnerable civil society groups;
- fluency in written and spoken Georgian, with a working knowledge of English;
- crisp, clear online communication skills, and an ability to write simplified guidance on IT-related matters for non-technical audiences;
- passion for the CyberSTAR “digital hygiene” mission, and an eagerness to convey best practice in easy-to-understand and interesting ways;
- strong social media skills, including social media analytics;
- strong understanding of the Central Eurasia operating environment, with a particular focus on Georgia;
- Strong self-organization with a proven ability to set and meet realistic deadlines;
- Respect for team members, whom you enjoy working with closely because you recognize the value of different points of view and know how to effectively manage areas of disagreement to arrive at solutions that best service project objectives and our beneficiaries.
What would make you extraordinary?
- Direct professional experience of digital hygiene, safety, and work with vulnerable groups,
- Proven successes with online campaigns and/or writing for the web,
- Fluency in Russian,
- A university degree in a relevant field.
This job has a steep learning curve, short timelines, and distinct challenges. It is not your typical Technical Publication Writer posting.
What You Will Do?
Web and Social Media
- Help manage the project’s web and Georgian social media assets including daily posting and updating content on a regular basis;
- Help monitor, moderate and respond to social media comments and questions, seeking, where necessary, advice from subject matter experts;
- Help gather and compile user data and produce analytical web and social media reports that will help to improve content uptake and engagement.
- Help develop content for the project’s website and social media, including digital safety campaigns, tips, how-to guides and alerts;
- Help repurpose the existing content for the Georgian-language social media assets, by revising materials and ensuring that they are appropriate for the target audiences.
Outreach and Partnerships
- With guidance of team members, undertake ongoing mapping of potential partners and beneficiaries;
- Carry out specific research tasks to profile potential partners;
Online Portal Management
- Help to manage the content of the CyberSTAR online learning portal overall, including updates and curation;
Research and Media Monitoring
- Daily monitoring of Georgia and other central Eurasian countries’ cyber threat/risk environment and other project relevant topics.
- Contribute to analytical reports on the digital threat risk environment affecting people in Central Eurasia.
- Translate project documents, content and reports as required;
- Liaise with field officers and provide logistical support;
- Working closely with team members, contribute to overall strategic vision and excellence of delivery for the CyberSTAR project as a whole;
- Contribute new and innovative ideas for how we can continually enhance our support to beneficiaries;
- Perform any other duties as required.
Interested applicants should apply with:
- A cover letter that provides a concise argument as to why you are the next member of the CyberSTAR Team, linking your education and experience to the requirements above; and Your most recent CV.