Program Manager, Low Carbon Fleet Facilities and Infrastructure
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Victoria, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
BC Transit is embarking on an ambitious program to transition its transit fleet of over 1,000 vehicles to low carbon technology. The Low Carbon Fleet Program (LCFP) is aligned with Clean BC and is based on a transition of the BC Transit fleet to electric buses (i.e. battery electric, hydrogen fuel cell) and utilization of alternative fuel technology (i.e. compressed natural gas (CNG), renewable natural gas (RNG) and low-carbon based diesel fuels).
The first deployment of 10 battery electric buses will be in the Victoria Regional Transit System, inclusive of charging systems, supporting infrastructure, and integration to support operations and maintenance functions. Subsequent phased implementation and deployments in all 86 BC Transit systems will occur at both new and existing facilities serving over 130 communities across BC. The transition to low carbon fleets is a significant endeavor that will require significant collaboration and change management activities.
Reporting to the Program Director Low Carbon Fleet, the Program Manager-Low Carbon Fleet Infrastructure & Facilities is an integral part of the Low Carbon Fleet Program. The position will support the low carbon transition with expertise in infrastructure & facilities projects, program development, and related engineering activities. The role will require significant collaboration with existing BC Transit departments, including integration with existing Infrastructure processes and projects. The position will work closely with managers in those areas in addition to working closely with external consultants and partners (utilities, operating partners, municipalities). This position will be a driving force for the ongoing development and refinement of both projects and implementation planning, while ensuring the subsequent work is completed to specifications. The program manager is expected to bring a passion and excitement for achieving greenhouse gas reduction targets with solutions that are fully integrated, cost-effective, and sustainable.
This role will work closely with the Infrastructure Management Department, including the Director Infrastructure Management, Manager Project Development, Manager Infrastructure Planning and Project Planning Manager, and Manager Facilities, as well as the Program Manager for Low Carbon Fleet Deployment and the Program Manager for Low Carbon Fleet Systems & Performance.
- Develops a low carbon fleet facility and infrastructure project roadmap that is in alignment with the Fleet replacement and expansions, transit system master planning, utility power capacity, operating partners, municipal partners. This will include leading facility assessments and feasibility studies for all transit facilities, including working with engineering consultants to develop concept designs and budgets.
- Develop and/or support business cases for the infrastructure projects necessary to support low carbon fleet deployments. It is important that opportunities are identified and assessed early, with appropriate assessments to inform decision making.
- Maintains tracking and reporting on low carbon fleet infrastructure and facility projects. Works closely with Infrastructure Manager and the Planning Manager, to integrate within the broader infrastructure and planning activities. Ensures the infrastructure projects are aligned with the fleet replacement needs.
- Works with utilities to assess power capacity and potential upgrades for the facility to support battery electric buses and other alternative fuel types. Aligns utility power activities with the low carbon fleet program and infrastructure investments.
- Develops the scope of work for operations and maintenance infrastructure projects or retrofits and supports project managers in implementing construction activities.
- Reviews all engineering design drawings during concept and detailed design processes (for both new and existing facility upgrades).
- Supports infrastructure and operations and maintenance facility projects as a subject matter expert throughout design and construction.
- Manages procurement and contracts as required to support the infrastructure development and deployment. This may include development of master service agreements.
- Manages the transition of ownership of low carbon investments, tools, resources, and processes to support internal teams post implementation. Supports ongoing operations as required. Sustainment planning is an important part of this work.
- Develops construction and design guidelines to support low carbon fleet deployment.
- Integrates resiliency, redundancy, and reliability into facility designs and planning as it related to the low carbon fleet, including backup power systems and emergency response.
- Integrates safety considerations, designs, and procedures as related to the low carbon fleet deployments.
- Integrates new facility maintenance procedures and provides support to maintenance planning activities.
- Prepares and supports communication related to the program, including presentations to local partners and executive reporting.
- University degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or a related discipline;
- Education as Technologist or Technician with an equivalent amount of experience may be considered;
- Professional Engineering Designation (P.Eng), Project Management Professional (PMP) or Program Management Professional (PgMP) designation from the Project Management Institute (PMI) is preferred
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience working in facility design and/or electrical infrastructure and/or facility engineering projects; longer is preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience leading and coordinating multi-disciplinary project teams is preferred;
- Proven project management experience working in a large organization is preferred, public sector experience would be considered an asset;
- Experience working on project development, design, and construction projects with significant electrical design configurations is preferred;
- A background in low carbon technologies, battery storage, renewable energy, microgirds, and AC/DC power converters would be considered an asset;
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Pre-screen telephone calls will take place July 27 to August 7 and Interviews will be taking place during the last two weeks of August
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- If you have a disability which requires accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
- A Post Offer Employment Test (POET) may be required
- We reserve the right to close the online vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to complete and return your application form as soon as possible
- BC Transit is committed to the principles of employment equity.
BC TRANSIT OFFERS
- Life Insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program – Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
We love that our head office is in Victoria and we bet you do too! We are happy you have decided to explore a career with BC Transit, this is a great city to work and live in. We are passionate about helping reduce congestion in the city and providing a public service to everyone in BC (except for Metro Vancouver). We have innovative new bus lanes being installed from Colwood to Downtown in both directions, real time GPS being installed in the full fleet across the province and we are beginning to explore mobile payment options among other things. It is an exciting time to be in the transit industry and we are looking for fun, creative, passionate people to join our amazing team. Not only would you work with an incredible team, you would also receive great benefits and a pension plan to boot. Keep reading to find out if this role makes you feel excited to come to work each day!