Multicultural Outreach Worker
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Community & Social Services
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Team: Community Health Promotion
Status: Contract Position of 12 Months - 5 days/week (1.0FTE)
Salary Scale $26.916/hour to $32.429/hour
Pension and Benefits: Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) / including some benefits
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Multicultural Outreach Worker (MCOW) is responsible for supporting newcomers to Canada and other isolated culturally diverse individuals and families by assisting them to access and navigate Canadian systems such as social and health services, housing, transportation and employment. In particular, the MCOW focuses on supporting those who have complex health and social needs -including seniors and those that experience barriers to achieving optimal health. The incumbent works collaboratively within the community and with the Centre’s interdisciplinary teams to identify and implement relevant supportive strategies that enhance community engagement and positive health outcomes. Specific activities include home visits, development of linkages with appropriate community agencies, advocacy, community engagement, group facilitation and health education.
The MCOW uses approaches of Population Health Promotion, Community Health and Wellbeing framework, and community development framework, which embody the social determinants of health with a focus on health equity.
This role works in the community, mainly within the CCHC catchment area and at CCHC.
- Bachelor degree in health or social sciences or equivalent training and experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as an outreach worker.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working with multicultural individuals and families.
- Knowledge and understanding of immigrant and refugee health and social issues.
- Knowledge of community resources that promote integration of newcomers and their health within the context of social determinants of health.
- Ability to work well with marginalized groups.
- Experience working in health/social services settings, working with diverse populations and seniors.
- Knowledge of health promotion principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to communicate in other languages e.g., Arabic, Somali, Chinese or Spanish.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience leading and facilitating groups and utilizing adult learning techniques.
- Experience working from a health equity perspective.
- Proficient with Windows-based computer systems/ Microsoft office suite - e-mail Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Relevant continuous education or willingness to obtain (e.g., chronic disease self-care management; fall prevention, motivational interviewing, suicide prevention, or conflict resolution; case management)
English, written and spoken
French, written and spoken
How to “express an interest” for this opportunity:
Submit your letter of interest along with your résumé on or before January 31, 2020 by 11:59pm to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following:
- The subject line of your email should read “Bilingual Multicultural Outreach Worker – 5 days/week”
- The file name for your resume should read: “(last name)_(first name)_ Resume”
- The file name for your cover letter should read: “(last name)_(first name)_ Cover Letter”
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants invited to an interview will be contacted.
Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should contact us at email@example.com so arrangements can be made. CCHC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce and as such all applicants are welcome.
Organization Description not provided