Personal Support Worker
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
DATE: September 25, 2023
LOCATION: Toronto, ON – Bathurst Street
COMPENSATION: $44,259 - $54,011 Annually Prorated*
***3 Full-Time Roles Available***
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance use challenges, poverty and homelessness. Serving approximately 13,969 annually and providing 1,788 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. LOFT is also recognized as a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a, Personal Support Worker.
The Personal Support Worker provides assistance to address the physical, cognitive, mental health and addiction needs of psychogeriatric clients living within the Program. This consists of providing individual support with the personal activities of daily living to facilitate a normalized lifestyle for the client and to assist them in gaining the skills required to live within the supportive housing program and be part of the larger community.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Assisting with personal care and homemaking, including meal preparation, unit cleaning.
- Assisting with design and implementation of the social/recreational program for the residents, accompanying the residents to medical appointments and working with community services associated with the personal support program or with partners, family members and friends.
- Provide behavioral support and support behavior plans, help residents problem solve, manage and cope with challenges related to their mental health, provide crisis management support and medication support.
- Taking the lead with scheduling, meal planning and program inventory, which will include Infection Control supplies and staff task assignments, under the supervision of the Program Manager.
- Monitoring the activities of the residents, assess potential crisis situations and imminent risk, provide reports regarding client concerns.
- Providing basic maintenance and cleaning of common areas, preparing/serving meals.
- Supervising the property and keeping an up-to-date inventory of supplies.
- Maintaining the established routines of the program including all security, fire and general health and safety practices.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Completion of a post-secondary education such as Personal Support Worker Certificate, Health Care Aide Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate.
- Experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive and addiction challenges who have been longer term hospital patients..
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients through a harm reduction and PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach.
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management.
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner.
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, etc.).
- First Aid and CPR certification.
- Good oral and written skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
We believe there are many different ways of developing skills, and we love diverse
experiences! So even if you don’t “tick all the boxes” but think you’d thrive in this role, we encourage you to apply.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and long-term disability
- Defined Benefits Pensions Plan
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- E-learning program available all year round
- Starting vacation time above minimum standard,
- Additional paid personal and paid sick days
- Professional development budget available to help you nurture and shape your career
- Corporate Gym membership rate with GoodLife Fitness
- Access to Perkopolis, a comprehensive corporate discount program
- Access to unlimited DEI trainings through partnership Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Maternity-leave top up program
Note: All LOFT employees are required to be COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with LOFT’s Vaccination Policy; unless they are employed in or work regularly with staff who are employed in, non-client facing roles.
Note: A satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is also required.
CLOSING DATE: October 6th, 2023.