Residential Counsellor - Full Time
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Junior/Entry level
- Newmarket, East Gwillimbury, ON
- Impact Area
- Community & Social Services
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Blue Door Shelters is a not-for-profit registered charitable agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We have been an integral part of our community providing essential emergency shelter services since 1982. Blue Door Shelter’s mission is to provide safe and supportive shelter and services for people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. We serve all of York Region through our three homeless shelters:
- Leeder Place Family Shelter
- Porter Place Men’s Shelter
- York Region Youth Shelter
We are looking for full time 32 hour afternoon shift (Friday and Saturday 3pm - 11pm, Sunday and Monday 4pm - 12am) Residential Counsellors to work on a full time capacity. You will report to the Shelter Manager to assist in the operation of the shelters in accordance with agency policies and procedures. Which includes the following duties; maintain appropriate record keeping, complete intake/discharge forms, maintain security for residents/staff/facilities, goal setting and referrals to other resources, informal individual and group counselling, promote co-operative living, participate in housekeeping duties including food preparation and cleaning
- Provides appropriate professional understanding and intervention in response to emotional, behavioural, physical needs of clients.
- Maintains and supervises established routines and procedures.
- Assists residents to establish and achieve individualized goals
- Utilizes effective conflict resolution skills.
- Maintains confidentiality of residents.
- Participates in design and implementation of program activities.
- Participates in research/evaluation/quality assurance activities that would enhance the efficiency and/or effectiveness of service delivery.
- Fosters positive relationships with community programs and individuals as necessary.
- Provides referrals and follow-up as necessary.
- Provides support to all agency program areas as requested.
- Participates in shift change and staff meetings as required, shares information in a respectful, non-judgemental manner.
- Exercises good judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Completes all necessary documentation, including written records/reports and provides statistics as requested.
- Performs other organizational duties as assigned.
- Learn and understand health and safety standards, regulations, policies and procedures and comply with them.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum SSW or 2-year college diploma in a human services program.
- Experience working with the homeless or similar population.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in telephone and in-person counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- Understanding and delivery of anti-oppressive practices.
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict and crisis.
- CPI, CPR and Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check).
- Reliable vehicle, valid driving license and insurance.
In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of York Region, we encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBT, members of visible minorities and women.
Competition is open internally and externally. All applications will be reviewed as received; interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blue Door Shelters
Fax: (905) 898-6414
Organization Description not provided