Canadian Orientation Abroad Communications and Information Assistant
- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Since 1998, in partnership with the Government of Canada, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been providing pre-arrival Information and Orientation sessions to refugees approved for resettlement to Canada in over 60 locations worldwide. This flagship program is Canadian Orientation Abroad (COA).
Under the overall supervision of the COA Global Programme Manager in Geneva, the administrative supervision of the Head of Office (HoO) in IOM Ottawa and the direct supervision of the COA Liaison Officer in Ottawa, the successful candidate will support the development and maintenance of digital communication tools, resources, and the expansion of visibility products and activities of the COA Programme.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Create, implement and monitor a promotion and outreach strategy for self-study COA digital tools (i.e. O-Canada mobile application, audiobooks, informational videos, and other resources), with the aim to increase client uptake of these tools.
- Conceptualize and create digital repositories of online resources for COA staff, for beneficiaries respectively, and for various stakeholders in Canada (i.e. service provider organizations, sponsoring groups, etc.).
- Monitor and update COA digital media and communication tools (websites, knowledge portals, repositories of resources, etc.) to ensure maximum uptake, functionality, and ongoing presentation of accurate and reliable content.
- Proactively propose innovative ideas to improve online platforms and content formatting/presentation for the benefit of the COA team, partners and/or participants.
- Develop COA promotional materials and actively contribute to increasing COA’s social media presence and visibility towards various audiences, including donors, partner organizations, beneficiaries (refugees), stakeholders and civil society.
- Assist in the design and formatting of all COA resources to ensure consistent branding in line with the COA and IOM Branding Guidelines.
- Communicate with internal and external partners engaged in the development, editing, translation, and publication of programme media, materials, reports or other products in target languages.
- Assist with various administrative tasks of the programme including procurement, shipment and logistics.
- Participate in the development and review of various programme tools and information materials to support the COA Programme activities globally.
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
A College or Bachelor’s degree in Media and Communications, Marketing, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated interest in issues related to migration, settlement and integration
- Demonstrated knowledge of the barriers and enablers to digital access and digital literacy
- Experience with the development of digital collaboration tools
- Experience in graphic design and website maintenance
- Experience developing and monitoring a marketing and/or outreach strategy with demonstrated results
- Knowledge of client data protection and privacy principles
- Experience with digital capacity-building and change management is an advantage
- Experience applying the IOM Branding Guidelines is an advantage
- Excellent writing and communication skills are required.
- Attention to details.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Creative Cloud Applications (i.e. Adobe Acrobat Pro, InDesign, Illustrator), SharePoint, OneDrive.
- Experience in the application of branding guidelines is an advantage.
- Technical development skills are an asset.
Required: Fluency in English and French (oral and written).
Desirable: Working knowledge in one or more of the following languages: Arabic, Amharic, Burmese, Dari, Somali, Swahili, Tigrinya, Urdu.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity
IOM Ottawa offers nine-month Special Short-Term Contracts, with possibility of extension, for as long as funding is available.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, proof of Canadian residency and security clearance.
Application: To apply, please submit a résumé no longer than 3 pages, and a Cover Letter.
You must have Permanent Resident status or Canadian citizenship to apply.