Gender Equality and Sustainable Development Program Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Edmonton, AB
- Impact Area
- International Relief/Development/Peace
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Gender Equality and Sustainable Development Program Manager
Full time, Term position. 1 January 2020 – 31 March 2023.
Renewal contingent on grant funding
Friday December 13, 2019 at 5pm Mountain Standard Time
Mandatory Start Date
15 January 2020 or earlier
$70,500 annual salary, plus benefits
30% Travel required
Scope of Position/Job Purpose:
In May 2019, ACGC launched a four-year program titled ‘Inspiring Action for Global Citizenship’ which aims to enhance the contribution of Canadians to Canada’s international development efforts towards gender equality, the empowerment of women and girls, reducing poverty and inequality and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. ACGC is currently seeking an experienced Gender Equality and Sustainable Development Program Manager to help guide programming and drive results of this program.
Reporting to the Executive Director of ACGC, and overseeing a team of staff, the Gender Equality and Sustainable Development Program Manager will be responsible for providing strategic and technical assistance to strengthen action towards the SDGs and gender equality outcomes in alignment with the Government of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy and the Sustainable Development Goals in program activities. The Manager will also be in responsible for developing and carrying out the capacity building and knowledge sharing activities, while conducting the monitoring and evaluation activities of the program.
- Provide strategic and technical guidance for the Inspiring Action for Global Citizenship program, ensuring programming aligns to the feminist international assistance policy and mainstreams principles for gender-sensitive / gender responsive programming.
- Provide written policy analysis and response to strengthen the ability of ACGC and Member organizations to achieve gender equality and the SDGs.
- Develop and carry out a gender-responsive knowledge sharing and capacity building program for ACGC members and other sector partners in Alberta.
- Promote cross-sectoral collaboration and the engagement of Albertans in the achievement UN Sustainable Development Goals, ensuring opportunities for inter-generational knowledge sharing and collaboration.
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation activities of the Inspiring Action program in line with funding requirements.
- Organize regular capacity building and knowledge sharing activities that respond to member needs.
- Organize regular cross-sectoral dialogues and collaboration on the SDGs, writing and documenting stories of partnerships in the Together Alberta website.
- Organize ACGC’s annual conference, and a biennial leadership retreat for sector leaders, with specific focus on building knowledge and capacity to achieve gender equality and the SDGs.
- Coordinate delegations of members and youth to national and international forums, ensuring information is shared back to members in Alberta
- Act as the focal point for ACGC member organizations, being responsive to needs, providing regular updates, information, and sector news.
- Provide strategic and technical resource to ACGC staff and members on gender equality and M&E, coordinating the production of quarterly and annual output reports, ensuring results are met in line with the Project Implementation Plan and Performance Measurement Framework.
- Other administrative duties as required for the success of the program.
Key Working Relationships
This position reports to the Executive Director of the Alberta Council for Global Cooperation. This position oversees other ACGC Inspiring Action staff to ensure programming is gender responsive, and that activities are carried out in line with program and donor requirements.
This position is responsible for managing a budget which is set by the Executive Director and the ACGC Board of Directors.
- Number of direct reports for programming: 3
- Number of indirect reports: 0
Required Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated understanding of gender equality principles within the international development sector and best practices towards achieving gender equality.
- Advanced university degree (Masters degree or higher preferred) in international development, gender equality, or a combination of academic and work/lived experience in these topics.
- Minimum 5 years employment experience in the international development sector, with direct work experience in a developing country setting
- Experience managing a team of staff
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience developing and carrying out adult learning activities and/or facilitating capacity building workshops, events, or activities
- Advanced knowledge of project cycle management, including RBM frameworks, as articulated by Global Affairs Canada
- Ability to communicate in French
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and resume the following competencies:
Sector Expertise: Technical knowledge of gender equality programming, RBM and M&E in the international development sector
Drive for results: Ability to guide team in setting goals and targets, and achieving results
Communication Skills: Strong writing ability; strong group facilitation skills
Event Planning: Ability to develop and organize events for large numbers of people.
Teamwork: Ability to collaborate and work in small teams, committees, and across sectors to achieve results
Passionate for Learning: A desire for lifelong learning and sharing knowledge with others
This position will be based at the ACGC office in Edmonton, Alberta. The successful candidate must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends, and will be required to travel at least 30% primarily in Alberta, but occasionally across Canada or internationally.
ACGC is strongly committed to diversity within its community, and especially welcomes applications who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas in the workplace, including visible minority group members, Indigenous persons, persons living with disabilities, and members of under-represented gender and sexual orientation groups.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com by 12pm (MST) on Friday December 13, 2019.
The cover letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets the requirements of the position.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, nly those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Those selected for an interview will be asked to provide 3 references, as well as a recent writing sample.
For more information about ACGC please visit www.acgc.ca.
ACGC is a coalition of voluntary sector organizations located in Alberta, working locally and globally to achieve sustainable human development.