Finance and Administration Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Markham, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
We’re Christians passionate about ending poverty.
We're following Jesus where the need is greatest, working through local churches across the Global South to unlock people's potential and helping them to discover that the answer to poverty is within themselves. When disasters strike, we respond quickly. We won't stop until poverty stops.
For almost 50 years, thousands of Canadians and churches have chosen Tearfund Canada to see hope restored, and empowerment offered to impoverished communities.
Tearfund Canada is going through a growth phase and looking to expand its reach and impact. The chosen candidate for this role will have a vital role in supporting that growth, working alongside a dedicated team.
Title: Finance and Administration Manager
Reporting: This position reports to the Executive Director
Position Type: Full-time, permanent
Pay: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits plan and matching RSP
Environment: Markham Office
The Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for the administration of:
- Finance: to oversee, review and maintain the overall integrity of Tearfund’s business & financial processes and systems.
- General Office Management: to oversee the internal and external support service functions for the organization, including facilities and human resources management.
- Information Technology: to coordinate the development, acquisition, implementation, maintenance and tracking of information systems and services for the organization.
- Leadership Team: As a member of the management team, the Finance and Administration Manager works collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to advance the mission and strengthen operations and participates in strategic and operational planning.
- Compliance: Ensures all areas of responsibility are carried out in compliance with Tearfund’s mission, strategic priorities, policies, standards and systems
Financial Services 70%
- Prepares annual budget and analysis of income and giving patterns for projection purposes.
- Provides monthly reports and statements of Income & Expenditure on a timely basis
- Financial Analysis – provide ongoing financial analysis, projections and assessment and makes recommendation for streamlining to ensure efficiency and cost containment, advising the Executive Director on any financial issues relevant to the organization
- Maintains accurate fund accounting as per financial guidelines/policy provided by the Board of Directors.
- Monitors cash flow. Prepares projections for internal fund transfer purposes and transfers international partners and to the Tearfund equity account with the Canadian Foodgrains Bank.
- Ensure smooth operation of Accounts Payable, Payroll and Benefits, Group retirement savings plan, and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Manages and invests the organization’s cash resources to provide security, liquidity and availability of funds.
- Prepares monthly reconciliations of bank accounts and reconciliation of Sage and Raiser’s Edge account balances.
- Monitors accounts receivable and employee’s travel advances.
- Enters all accounting data into the Sage system.
- Prepares the applications and supporting documents for GST and PST rebates.
- Prepares T3010 annual statement and other reports as required by Canada customs, the Canada Revenue Agency, Global Affairs Canada, etc.
- Coordinates the business of the Board Audit Committee and prepares relevant financial information.
- Coordinates annual audit and funder audits, consulting with the external auditors to ensure that all significant accounting issues are being handled in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Reviews and ensures finance and administration policy and procedure manuals are kept up to date.
Donor Services - 15%
- Oversees the work of the Donor Services Coordinator as it relates to donation processing
- Ensures that Donor Services provides accurate and timely receipts and acknowledgements for all donors.
- Ensures that Donor Services provides accurate and timely reports for fundraising and communications purposes.
- Ensures that Donor Services provides accurate and timely data files to outside service providers such as the mailing house.
- Makes recommendations on database system upgrades and leads the implementation.
Office Administration – 15%
- Ensure effective and cost-effective facilities management for the office
- Acts as the point person for IT services for the office, working with IT support to resolve issues and ensure that Tearfund has reliable IT systems to support its operation.
- Approves requests for all equipment purchases, computerized hardware and software and maintains inventory roster
- Directs and monitors enrolment of staff to Tearfund’s pension plan and the group insurance plan.
- Ensure appropriate and timely corporate registration and filings
- Updates the Financial Guidelines section of the Tearfund Canada policy manual.
- Determines the insurance requirement of the organization.
- Reviews policies and procedures to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Facilitates management processes in hiring and dismissal of staff, ensuring fair and lawful procedures are followed.
- Ensures that HR standards are followed within the organization.
- Fully aligned with the vision, mission, and values of Tearfund Canada, including the Statement of Faith and Lifestyle Expectations.
- All roles within Tearfund Canada require the willingness to share in times of Scriptural reflection and prayer, a readiness to engage with our faith-based constituency and partners and active membership or participation in a Christian church
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA coming from the CGA stream) or exceptional knowledge of finances gained through equivalent experience
- Five years of directly related experience including experience at a management level
- Strong analytical capacity and ability to plan strategically
- Proven success in the non-profit sector with strong knowledge of the public and private sectors
- Demonstrated experience with institutional or bilateral donors (Global Affairs Canada and others)
- Tech Savvy with superior information and technology knowledge including mastery of Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Raisers Edge or similar donor database systems, computerized accounting systems (Sage preferred).
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in a multicultural environment
- Previous experience in an international development organization would be an asset.
- Gifted at prioritizing conflicting needs; handling matters expeditiously and proactively, following through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures
- Professionalism, discretion, confidentiality
SCOPE: Budget 2019 - $7 million
Committees: Finance Committee,
Note: Restriction of vacation: during the audit preparation and budget preparation
Location: This position is based in Markham
Please apply by email only, with cover letter and attached resume, to email@example.com
Your cover letter should include a description of:
- An overview of your related education and experience
- How you would integrate your faith with this role
- Salary expectations
Tearfund Canada is committed to the protection of children; all offers of employment will be conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a Police background check. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and Christian mission of Tearfund Canada.
Tearfund Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for applying, however will only reply to those selected for interviews. No phone calls please.
To learn more about Tearfund Canada, visit Tearfund.ca