Behavioural Life Enrichment Worker
- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
BEHAVIOURAL LIFE ENRICHMENT WORKER
1 Full Time Contract Position (6 month contract with possibility of extension, dependent on funding)
DATE: January 27, 2021
LOCATION: Enhanced Specialized Assisted Living- Toronto Central
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Behavioural Life Enrichment Worker.
Working within an interdisciplinary team, the Behavioural Life Enrichment Worker will enhance the quality of life for older adults and seniors living within an Enhanced Specialized Assisted Living Program who are facing complex challenges. These complex challenges could include mental health and/or addiction challenges, cognitive impairment, ongoing physical health issues, responsive behaviours and/or other neurological disorders. The Behavioural Life Enrichment Worker plans, coordinates, implements and directs recreational, educational or therapeutic activity programs that assist residents in maintaining and developing intellectual, physical, spiritual, social and recreational opportunities and, further assists in building interpersonal relationships and social skills.
*Note: A satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Degree and/or diploma in Therapeutic Recreation or recreation with a therapeutic concentration;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with vulnerable older adults and seniors who may be living with mental illness, cognitive and neurological illnesses, addiction challenges and/or responsive behaviours who have been longer term hospital patients;
- Knowledge and training in GPA, Montessori Methods for Dementia, PIECES and Restorative Care;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, program planning and problem solving;
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner;
- Physically able to perform required duties;
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills; ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with minimal supervision with proven reliability and trustworthiness;
- Valid drivers’ license and access to own vehicle is an asset
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting email@example.com or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-seeking communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “BEHAVIOURAL LEW” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: February 12, 2021 BY 5:00pm