Director of Communications
- Job Type
- Contract / Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Location: Work from home and Toronto office
Type: Permanent through to the 2022 provincial election, Full time
Start Date: As soon as possible
The GPO is looking for a talented and highly collaborative Director of Communications to lead a small, dedicated team working towards electing more Green MPPs in the next provincial election, expected in spring 2022.
As a member of the leadership team, you will work directly with our party Leader, Mike Schreiner along with other senior staff. You’ll play an important role in developing our strategic communications plan as well as overseeing its execution.
This is an exciting opportunity to expand the GPO’s efforts and contribute to our future growth and direction.
As a Director of Communications you will…
- Work with the Leader, Provincial Campaign Manager and Executive Director to develop and implement communications strategies that encompass all the communications channels of the Party.
- Grow, lead and manage a communications team and its resources to translate the strategy into a consistent action plan with tactics across departments.
- Oversee communications operations, departmental budgeting, and issues management.
- Work with the Leader, Provincial Campaign Manager and other senior staff to confirm messaging priorities
- Develop performance indicators, monitoring and evaluation for both internal and external channels
- Manage communications team to ensure cohesive message and communications objectives are met
- Develop weekly communications plan pre-writ and daily during writ
- Provide oversight for all communications
Messaging and content development
- Clarify GPO brand and brand image amongst stakeholders/audiences, and identify areas of brand strength and weakness.
- Develop communications themes, slogan, core messaging and specialized messaging for target audiences
- Conduct regular situational analysis (media/issues scanning, social media analysis).
- Oversight over content development for all channels, including:
- Press releases, statements, blogs, op eds
- Design and production of print materials
- Social media and website
- Internal communications such as emails and communications with ridings and campaigns
- Approve graphics, print products, messaging and conduct annual evaluation of all communications products.
- Work with Provincial Campaign Manager to plan and execute advertising strategies, designs and buys and manage ad production as required
- Ensure good relationships with provincial and regional media; strong understanding of and relationships with members of the Parliamentary Press Gallery.
- Issues management: identify issues, trends or conditions that affect the Party, and provide risk analysis ahead of potential crisis situations.
- Supervise a communications team
- Hire election staff
- Evaluate, recommend and manage resource allocation for executing specific campaigns (HR, tech, timeline, direct costs, knowledge base)
- Experience as a senior manager in a communications position
- Proven ability to grow reach, deliver results and manage issues
- Ability to communicate persuasively, and write in a clear & concise manner
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects at one time under pressure
- Flexibility -- we are a small organization and staff members take on various roles outside of our typical job descriptions - we operate as “all hands on deck”
- Adaptable to a changing schedule, and ability to think on your feet
- Enjoy working with other people, is patient and have a positive, courteous attitude
- Passion & commitment to social and environmental change in Ontario
- Team player with the ability to establish effective professional relationships
- Understanding and interest in Ontario politics
- Proficiency in French and/or other languages an asset
Send your resume & cover letter as one file to email@example.com no later than August 15, 2020 at 5pm ET. Please no phone calls or visits.
The GPO is an equal opportunity employer. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background and encourage all to apply. Accommodation will be provided during the hiring process and in the position as needed.
The Green Party of Ontario is independent yet is philosophically aligned with other green parties in Canada and around the world. The GPO is fiscally responsible, socially progressive and environmentally focused, and begins with the basic premise that all life on the planet is interconnected and that humans have a responsibility to protect and preserve the natural world.