Foster Family Support Worker
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Guelph, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Foster Family Support Worker
Satori Homes Inc. is a private Foster Care agency licensed by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services. We provide therapeutic supports in a foster care setting to children and youth between the ages of 0 and 18+ years.
The Foster Family Support Worker is responsible for therapeutic support services to children, youth and their foster families within a family-based care setting. The Foster Family Support Worker will provide support to children/youth and foster families both inside and outside of the foster home. Foster homes are located in Guelph, Kitchener/Waterloo, Halton, Dufferin, Cambridge, and Brampton. Applicants must have a driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle as they are expected to travel to individual foster homes and to take the children/youth into the community.
Would this be a good career fit for you?
Are you passionate about supporting vulnerable children and adolescents challenged with some very tough issues? Ready to spring into action if/when a crisis arises? Equipped with quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness and persistence? Creative and outgoing? Work well individually as well as part of a team?
If you answered “Yes” to all of the above, this may be the position for you.
Functions/Tasks and Key Responsibilities:
- Provide in-home direct support to foster families, children and youth.
- Act as a supportive resource to children/youth and foster families.
- Each foster child/youth receives 5-10 hours per week of FSW support, therefore applicants must be willing to work a variety of rotating shifts which are primarily evenings and weekends.
- The FFSW is considered a critical member of each child/youth’s Care Team and will participate in the implementation and delivering of supports that are outlined in the child/youth’s Plan of Care.
- Attendance at Plan of Care and Team Meetings may be required to provide input / recommendations for case planning purposes in the areas of education, social skills, emotional intelligence, recreation, community resources, clinical needs and transitions.
- Provide advocacy and coordinate resources for foster parents and children/youth.
- May assist with orientation and ongoing training of foster parents.
- Identify and address the professional development needs of foster parents, in consultation with their immediate Supervisor.
- Represent the program, and network with service partners to build and enhance commuity relationships
- Assist in the preparation of reports such as Plan of Cares, Incident Reports, Admission and Discharge Planning and Medical log reports.
- Monitor and maintain program standards and practices.
- Support open communication and teamwork within the program.
- Participate actively in supervisions, team meetings, and planning sessions with immediate Supervisor.
- May assist with facilitating groups for children/youth and foster families.
- Perform administrative duties at the Head Office as requested
- Although the primary focus is within the Foster Home, the FFSW may be deployed in education settings or other community programs.
- Other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Possess a degree / diploma in Child and Youth Work, or a related University Degree such as Child, Youth and Family Studies.
- Has a thorough understanding of issues related to child and adolescent development, the impact of trauma on development, child and youth mental illness, and developmental disabilities.
- Minimum of one year experience in a related field working with a child/youth population.
- Understanding of what it means to be a trauma informed agency.
- Demonstrated knowledge of crisis management strategies.
- Knowledge of community resources/services and ability to cultivate community partnerships.
- Ability to assist in the development and facilitation of programs/ groups to promote relationship building, and to teach social, emotional and behavioural management skills.
- Flexible with an ability to easily adjust to change in schedule, location or responsibilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
We are seeking applicants who are interested in growing with us. The position will start as casual. The number of hours are dependent upon your skill set and availability. This position has the potential to move into a permanent part-time or permanent full-time position for the right applicant.
Salary and Benefits
The successful candidate will be paid an hourly rate of $20.00.
Please provide a resume and cover letter that addresses the above qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satori Homes Inc. is an equal opportunity employer operating within an anti-racist and anti-oppression framework. We strive to establish a workplace that reflects and is enhanced by the rich diversity of the community we serve.
We thank all applicants in advance as only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Satori Homes Inc. is a private Foster Care agency licensed by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services. We provide therapeutic supports in a foster care setting to children and youth between the ages of0 and 18+ years.